pt. nine

) chapter energy (
everyday | buddy holly
more than this | roxy music

all of the losers gathered in the kitchen once again. beverly poured out shots for everyone with what was left of the vodka and richie helped pass them out to everyone.

"to the losers," richie proposed,"and if i might say a pretty wicked party."

"to the losers!" they all toasted, clinking their shot glasses together and throwing back the bitter liquor.

they all scrunched their faces up in disgust as they set the small glasses back down.

"fuck," eddie said,"that shit tastes worse than grey water."

"well, it's not just gonna taste like apple juice man," mike replied, wiping his mouth on his flannel sleeve.

they slowly migrated back to the living room. the record was no longer playing music, but instead quietly crackling in the corner of the room. richie walked over and switched out the wham! vinyl for buddy holly's self titled album, always one of his personal favorites.

the rest of the losers all gathered around the living room as richie went to grab blankets and pillows for everyone. he brought them up in great armfuls and, after a couple trips, everyone had been accommodated for.

"thanks rich," ben said, laying out a makeshift bed on the ground by the fireplace.

"anything for you haystack," richie nodded, continuing to pass out the rest of the blankets and pillows.

everyone had settled down and after a few minutes everyone was asleep. all except bev and rich who were on some absolutely fucked sleep schedules at the moment. most school days they'd go into school on around three to five hours of sleep at most.

"psst-" richie signaled, shaking beverly's shoulder gently.

"what is it rich?" she groaned, turning over to face him.

beverly was like the cool older sister richie had always wanted. the fact that she asked to stay with him when all the shit happened with her dad, was one of the best things that had happened to him since they beat it. although, of course he felt bad about all of that bullshit. her dad was a prick anyways, he deserved what came to him.

"you up for a little after party?" richie asked eagerly.

"now really tozier, what kind of question is that?" she asked, sitting up.

"more of a prompt i suppose," he responded, quietly,"any way, follow me."

he stood up and carefully crept up the stairs, beverly following close behind. he slid onto the floor next to his bed, grasping blindly underneath it. finally he felt what he was reaching for- a plastic sandwich bag. he stuffed it in his front pocket, making sure beverly didn't see.

carefully, he opened the window above the couch and stepped out onto the roof once again. he bowed, holding his hand out to beverly to help her onto the roof. she dismissed him with a laugh and they both sat down next to one another.

"so what's this i hear about an after party-" bev asked,"did you wanna smoke another cig or something?"

"oh just you wait," richie smiled, reaching into his pocket.

he turned away from her and pulled out the small bag. he unzipped it and grabbed the joint, stuffing the plastic bag back into his pocket. he turned around and waved the joint in front of her.

"holy shit rich!" she said excitedly, grabbing the joint from him and admiring it.

"got a light?" he asked rhetorically.

beverly handed the joint over to richie and dug her pack of cigarettes out, opening them up and pulling out her zippo lighter. he passed the joint back to her and she began torching the end of it, then stuck the joint in between her lips and puffed it a couple times.

she snapped the zippo closed and passed the joint back to richie. he took a long drag and exhaled smoothly. he had an intrigued look on his face as he passed it back to beverly.

"so what d'you think trashmouth?" she inquired.

"honestly, i think i'd smoke that shit any day over one of your red's bev," he laughed.

"well shit," she nudged his arm with her elbow," don't go turning into a pothead on me now. trust me, you haven't felt shit yet."

they sat there passing the joint back and forth til all that was left was the resinated roach. richie flicked it off the roof nonchalantly, and they sat there enjoying the coolness of the autumn wind for a short while, before moving back into the warmth of his room.

richie shut the window and reclined back onto the couch, while bev went and curled up on his desk chair as she usually did.

"so..." she beverly said, hesitantly," what the hell happened with you and eddie earlier."

richie shifted his shoulders uncomfortably, sitting up and leaning against the arm of the couch. he paused for a moment thinking of some way to possibly respond to that.

"i think he was just a bit to drunk maybe," he replied," i dunno all happened so fast. im sure he'll barely even remember in the morning."

"shit, well as mr. thorview would say 'you can't fake that sort of passion'," beverly laughed," nah im just messing with you, but seriously i don't think we can ever let eddie drink again."

"heh," richie laughed, seeming preoccupied,"agreed."

"alright well that joint's putting me straight to sleep," beverly yawned, loudly," goodnight rich."

"night," he responded," i might just crash up here honestly,"

"alright just don't stay up all night reading comics you dweeb," she smiled and headed down the stairs.

that weed was pretty relaxing but as soon as beverly left, richie's mind began racing.

+++

richie's pov:

shit, what the hell did happen earlier
i mean- we were both drunk

(i was pretty sobered up after smoking that cig)

fuck
no im just thinking into it too much
it's not like he's gay or something
im sure as hell not gay

(oh be honest with yourself now richie)

goddamnit i hate this, what the fuck is happening to me
it was just a game of spin the bottle
it meant fucking nothing

(but what about what happened in the kitchen earlier)

that was just the light
my glasses
my shit eyesight
there's so many other explanations

why the hell would he be looking at me- like that.

fuck i need to go to sleep.

+++

instead though, he plucked a few x-men comics from his bedside table, laid down in bed, and read for a couple hours before dozing off- comic still in hand.

by the time he fell asleep it was already 5:30 in the morning.