Chapter Three

"Sometimes you need to lose who you were to find who you are."

The asphalt was wet and stained a darker colour and a cold breeze blew, spitting icy water with it. The storm had mostly blown over but the city was still marked with its reminders.

Nyxa pushed open the doors to her work building- she remembered the odd occasion she'd pulled them instead.
Inhaling the scent of cleaning products and coffee, a part of her relaxed. The two things needed for productivity: cleanliness and caffeine.

Immediately she felt a sharp pang at what she was going to do. Turning off her usual route to her office, Nyxa headed toward the Commissioner.
She knocked twice and entered.

"Chief Nova, I was waiting to see if I'd get a visit from you."

Nyxa swallowed at her second name. Gods, she hated her parents. Was it disrespectful to hate the dead? Either way she straightened.

"Sir?

Axel Baros - Ace, as his familiars called him. Almost everyone in the police department had a nickname their colleagues called them by. It helped unite them- and give some of them an opportunity to piss one another off in an innocent enough way.

"Come now, Nova. We're still sticking to formalities?"

Nyxa grinned. "That depends, you still insist on saying my second name every chance you get?"

"I happen to think your parents were very creative in using their second name to their advantage."

Yes, yes, Nyxa Nova. Nyxa derived from Nyx meaning night and Nova meaning new Star. So all in all, her wonderfully sadistic parents had named their lovely baby girl Night Star- how delightful.

"And the name Nyxia-"

"Enough, Ace," She quickly interrupted. "This is why I never visit your office."

"Here I was thinking it was my good looks."

Nyxa supposed the statement wasn't untrue. Axel was incredibly attractive, his wavy auburn hair in a medium length mullet that complimented his russet coloured eyes with a slight golden shade to them- courtesy of his gift. He had a sharp nose and full lips on a slender yet defined face. She often thought he looked similar to the way fae were described in those fantasy books she used to read. Minus the whole pointy ear thing of course.

She also found the sharp scar cutting down a section of the one side of his annoyingly perfect jaw line to be quite endearing.
"We both know that's the one thing about you that might make me inclined to visit."

He gave her a roguish grin, so at odds with his position and the image he was supposed to display for work. Axel was like that though, a million paradoxes pieced together. Nyxa had found it incredibly alluring when she'd first met him.
But their ranks stopped any thoughts like that before they'd truly started. Overall, he was her supererior, one of the few she had.

She was the departments highest ranking officer, it was her job to manage the police department and make sure they maintained efficient operations within it. But Ace was appointed by Phoenix's Mayor to oversee multiple departments, including her own. So while he wasn't technically her 'boss' boss when it came down to it, he was still her superior. Nyxa had hard lines when it came to what she would and wouldn't do. They were as much a part of her as her routines and schedules were.