Chapter Eleven

"You talk like a book."

Wanda

Her heart gave that familiar lurch when she saw the woman waiting by the door, posture straight in a way that looked unnatural against the lazy afternoon.

Nyxa's hair was down, falling just past her shoulders. She was so unbelievably beautiful it sometimes hurt.
Wanda smiled a little when she saw Nyxa's concentrated expression as she read a small book.

"What's that?" She asked in greeting, watching the woman's head look up fast and if possible, saw her straighten even further.

Nyxa cleared her throat, face as serious as always. "Some poetry pieces. Prose..." She trailed of awkwardly and Wanda smiled.

Her gaze snagged on the purple eyes across from hers, they were always so focused. So intense. It made her feel like she was stripped bare.

Wanda remembered the first time she'd seen them up close, on Sokovia. She'd been on that train as the city was falling when out of nowhere Nyxa had appeared and literally picked her up and flown off.
They'd been high up in the air, looking down on the falling ruins when Wanda had seen those eyes, seen them properly.

She'd taken art classes when she was younger and had always been interested in how many shades there were of a colour and how they could all be used to create one image.

Nyxa's eyes were a mixture of purples she'd never seen put together before and she'd wondered why, when they clearly created something so beautiful once assembled.

The most prominent colour looked like a sangria, followed closely by a mauve and Russian violet which was always closely attached to specks of silver. It made Wanda feel like she was looking at a purple sky of stars.
"You like poetry?" She asked and watched Nyxa blink.

She struggled to get a read on the person that was Nyxa Nova. Her face was always so serious, her humor leaning towards the dry side. Wanda thought she was the perfect soldier, even more set in her programming than Steve sometimes.

She remembered the first time she'd actaully met her and put a name to the face. Everyone had been talking about her and were all on edge when it came to her shadowy presence.
It made it all the more unusual when Wanda had actaully spoken to her for the first time.

When she had met her she didn't think Nyxa looked angry or scary. Wanda just thought she looked sad.

"I do. Do you like reading?"

"I used to. When I was younger. Our parents would read to us sometimes, our dad would make a whole show out of it."

They started walking out of the compound, heading to one of the many SUVs parked out, one of them belonging to Nyxa. She noticed a gentle smile on her lips that let her know Nyxa was listening.

"That sounds nice."

"It was."

Following her, Wanda headed towards one of the cars, lights flashing as Nyxa unlocked it. Climbing inside she got comfortable.
Her breath caught slightly as Nova's arm went to the back of her seat as she reversed out. Was the action itself attractive or the person doing it? She found herself asking that question a lot lately.

"Anywhere you want to go?" Nyxa asked. "I'm yours for the day."

Again, was it the words themselves or the person saying it?
"Good to know," Wanda smiled, interested when Nyxa's hand tightened slightly around the wheel.
"No, there's nowhere. You can take me wherever you want."

She frowned slightly when Nyxa seemed to be fighting a smile. "What?" She laughed, seeing a huge smile break through at the sound, Nyxa clearly not hiding her amusement anymore.