Chapter Nine

"Like a candle, she was willing to melt to death to light uo everyone. Willing to set herself on fire to keep others warm."

Nyxa

All the new recruits sat sweating and taking deep breaths on the floor. All except Nyxa. She felt kind of awkward about that and was debating whether she should join them on the ground just to get the attention off of herself.

"How are you not dying, new girl? Those shadows giving you some type of energy boost? Think you could give me some of that?"

It was Sam Wilson, looking up at her with a genuine question on his face. She didn't get a chance to reply, Natasha beating her to it.

"You should be used to S.H.I.E.L.D agents kicking your ass."

The Falcon looked at her seriously, pointing a finger. "That's not funny. Besides, half of them were HYDRA."

The smirk Natasha sent him was so painfully Kienna that Nyxa's heart cleaved in two and she looked away. They were different people, she reminded herself. She should know that better than most.

"Personally, I think we've all earned a night off," Rhodey voiced.

"Oh, I agree."
It was Wanda this time, the voice causing Nyxa's attention to shift to her, receiving a small smile from the Sokovian.

"Ah, hell yes." Obviously Sam.

Steven Rogers let out a good natured sigh, hands on hips. He looked at her then. "How about you, Nova? You also want a night off?"

The question surprised her. Things like 'nights off' weren't something she desired. When you had no friends or family, or really, a life you loved, then there wasn't much of a point to things like time off.

"Hate to break it to you, Rogers but Nyxa doesn't do things like fun," Natasha grinned.

Nyxa's eyes widened. She was teasing her. Something friends did. Such pleasant surprise moved through her it was embarrassing. Had she really been that lonely? How depressing.

Nyxa wondered how she'd ever fallen so far. This used to be normal for her, a team, friends, family. Nights out were often and she used to be fun.

Sam grinned. "You gonna take that, Nova?"

"Yeah... I think she just called you stiff," Rhodey summarized.

"She definitely did," Wanda smirked, eyes lingering over Nyxa who saw the challenge.

They were all teasing her. For the first time since the year she'd arrived, Nyxa felt... she felt happy.
Looking over everyone she acted like she was thinking. "I don't know... it's only Friday. There's still a lot of training to do-"

Sam laughed out loud. "Would you look at that. Shadow lady can make a joke."

"Fine. Training over for the week, you've earned it. We can meet up as a team in half an hour. That work for everyone?" Steve asked and received enthusiastic agreements. They dispersed quickly after that.

"I didn't think you had it in you," A voice spoke.

Nyxa looked at Wanda Maximoff beside her. "You've only known me for two weeks."