Part 2 - With you here

He lay staring at the ceiling. Why was Ishan not here yet? He looked at the digital clock on the side table. It wasn't late and it had only been 5 minutes since he last checked the time. How did time with Ishan seem like it was going up in flames meanwhile here it was the proverbial slow burn. Counting every minute. This was what his science teacher once said was the theory of relativity. Sit with a pretty girl (or boy in this case) for an hour and it feels like a minute.

If only the meme-makers and shippers knew, his brain had been overactive in making snide asides this evening.

Tera Milna Hi Meri

Chaand Raat Hogi

Ishq Wale Raaston Mein

Apni Baat Hogi

He decided to scroll through Instagram. What a brilliant idea it was... not..! The very subject of his thoughts were there (and some that were nowhere on his mind) . Some of the memes made him laugh but it was the edits that got him smiling like a lunatic. There used to be a lot of songs that were about friendships. Now it feels like they've run out of friendship songs, all he sees are romantic songs and well.. he can see how well they fit. They were close but it's not like they were like Zampa and Stonis, he reasoned. Those two were even married. To other people. People still ship them so it's not even strange that people love Ishan and him together.

They did give out soulmates vibes, he thought happily. Some of those adorable pictures of when they were younger really made him feel things. They had ended up getting close so quickly. Conversations after conversations that flowed easily. Just snuggling on cold winter nights with not a care in the world. Even though life was a struggle then, it had been beautiful because he had Ishan by his side.

He was watching a reel with his current favorite earworm playing when he heard the door open.

Baaki Saare Saal Ve

Rehna Tere Naal Ve

Khwahishaan Ve Channa Meriaan

"Tu soya nahi?"

(You didn't sleep yet?)

Shubman just stared at Ishan.

"Woh Shardul ko kuch chahiye tha. Isliye gaya mein"

(Shardul wanted something, that's why I left)

He came to Shubman's side of the bed, pushed Shubman's legs and made space for himself.

"Kal match hai na. Tujhe sona chahiye tha"

(Tomorrow's the match. You should've slept)

He held Shubman's chin.

"Aise kya ghoor raha hai. Naraaz hai?"

(Why are you staring, are you mad at me?)

Shubman, already melting under the touch, shook his head.

Ishan smiled widely and Shubman involuntarily smiled back. Ishan found his fingers making way to touch Shubman's dimples but took it back almost midway through only to have Shubman take the finger and place it on his dimple. Then he placed his whole palm on it, holding it there.

They looked at each other. Something like understanding passed between them.

Shubman saw Ishan struggle with something, his eyes betraying him.

"Acha tu rukh mein change karke aatha hoon" (Ok, wait, I'll get changed and be back) Ishan tried to get up but Shubman was having none of it. He held Ishan with his free hand and hugged him. Burying his head into Ishan's neck always felt so right. Right now, he wanted to sob but that would be too dramatic for something so inconsequential so he did not.

When he collected himself and told Ishan to be back soon so he could sleep, he pretended not to notice the look Ishan was giving him. To his credit, Ishan didn't question it. He got ready to go to bed faster than expected. As was his habit, he extended his arm and Ishan rolled on to his chest. It was just something they had gotten in the habit of over the years and never spoken about.

"Tu teek hai"

(you ok?)

"Ab hoon"

(am now)

After a moment Ishan spoke.

"Sorry"

"Koi naa. Tujhe bohot miss kiya"

(It's ok. Just missed you a lot)

Ishan lifted his head to look into his eyes.

"Meine bhi" (me too) he whispered, not taking his eyes off him.

"Phir?"

(then?)

"Match ke baad baat karenge, ok? Aaram se so jaa. Good night, meri jaan"

(We'll talk after the match, ok? Sleep well. Good night, my love)

Shubman knew the endearment had rolled off Ishan's tongue without a second thought.

"Good night" he mumbled. Ishan who had settled back on his chest put his head up again.

" Bohot gussa hai kya"

(Are you very mad at me?)

"Nahi" (No) Ishan had noticed the lack of endearments in Shubman's reply. He wrapped his hand around Ishan as was his habit and pulled him closer. Ishan snuggled into him instinctively. Shubman smiled and closed his eyes. Yeah, the talk can wait for another day.