Part 11 - Captaincy Woes

"Ish..Ishan phone uttana please"

(Ish.. Ishan please pick up the phone)

Utter and complete panic is what he heard in Shubman's voice in what looked like his 23rd voice mail of the day. Ishan video-called him the minute he was free. Ishan knew why Shubman was calling him frantically. Shubman had been declared the captain of Gujrat Titans. It had come like a bolt from the blue.

There was no doubt that he was being groomed to be a leader in both IPL teams he was part of but this was so sudden and so unexpected that he didn't know how to react. Ishan knew him well enough to know the absolute panic he must be going through while putting on a brave front.

He knew Shubman WAS brave, he would face any challenge thrown at him. But he also knew the inner Shubman, who never liked to show his weaknesses to others.

He had probably told his family, especially his dad, that he was nervous but he was up for the challenge. His dad knew better but also trusted his son to face this challenge.

Ishan knew better too. They both had vulnerabilities that only the other person was aware of. Like Shubman knew he wasn't always as cheerful and positive as everyone else believed. He also knew that Shubman had the capability to panic like no one's business in the privacy of their conversations.

Shubman was staring at him from the phone screen with a sort of devastation he didn't know how to address.

"Meri jaan"(My love)

"Ye kya hogaya, Ish" (What just happened, Ish)

Ishan took a deep calming breath. He needed to be the voice of reason Shubman wanted to hear.

"Mein kaise karoonga ye sab. Mujhse hoga ya nahi ye bhi nahi patah. Kitne senior players hai. Harry bhai ne bataya bhi nahi. Aur mein itna junior hoon baaki sabko kaise manage karoonga. Ishan mujhse nahi hoga."

(How'll I do all this. I don't know if I can do this. There are so many senior players. Harry bhai didn't mention anything. I'm a junior how'll I manage the others. Ishan I can't do this)

Ishan let him rant for a bit. It would hopefully help in reducing the anxiety a little bit.

"Shubman"

"Tu mujhe shubman kyun bula raha hai?"

(Why're you calling me Shubman)

"Kyunki tera naam hai?"

(Because it's your name?)

Shubman was pouting and angsty and suddenly, Ishan had a desire to pull his cheeks and possibly kiss the pout. Both of which weren't possible given they were in different countries at the moment.

"Meri jaan" (My love)

"Hmmm"

"You'll be fine. Tu achese karega. Pehle thoda mushkil hoga par phir tu kar payega.. aur phir mein hoon na."

(You'll be fine. You'll do well, It'll be hard at first but you can do it. And I'm here for you)

"Tu doosre team mein hai. Bhool gaya kya"

(You're in a different team, did you forget?)

Shubman grumbled.

"Par tujhe support tho kar sakta hoon na. Team secrets nahi bata raha itna tho mein kar sakta hoon"

(But I can support you. I'm not sharing team secrets)

"Tu mera favorite captain hai waise"

(You're my favorite captain)