Chapter 34

Wolfe

One moment I was speaking with Kaya on the phone and the next he was dropping it in my ear. I was pissed, very much pissed at him. He was being irresponsible and I was out here doing all this for his safety. He was in heat and he was alone. I knew I wouldn't be able to control myself if I went near him, but I also knew he was vulnerable. I didn't like it and that wasn't what made things worse.

I had already arrived with the police at the abandoned factory. I never liked driving in this cars, I always felt crammed up to sit in these seats. It wasn't my fault I was this huge!

"This is it," said the sheriff. "I'll have my team surround the place and on my command we will go in—"

"I'll go inside myself!" I nearly kicked the door off when I opened it and then stepped out. "I'll tell you if I find anything."

"Hey! You can't just go in there without an officer! What if the suspect becomes hostile?!" The sheriff got out the car.

"Then I'll rip his throat out!"

"What?"

"Look, I have things to do. So let's hurry this up so I can go!"

Of course I prioritised Kaya's safety above everything else. I was going to make sure the serial killer was dealt with and after that, I will go and get him and take him home. He was in heat, which meant our mating season was going to begin and I didn't want any interruptions. The alpha in me was already pissed at the sheriff for making me waste my time like this.

I barged through the main entrance of the old factory and sniffed around. I did catch the faint scent of blood and immediately followed the trail. I looked back and saw the sheriff and his men following me.

"What?" He said. "Surely you didn't think I was going to let a citizen enter a serial killer's territory alone?"

"Pfft," I snarled. If only he knew. "Worry about yourself. I can handle myself."

"I do wonder about that. I did investigate the incident at Lakies. The injuries you left on those boys...Not even a human your size could do that much damage."

I halted and glanced at him. I didn't know what he expected me to say, but all I told him was. "You're smart, sheriff. I'm sure you can figure it out." I left it vaguely and then went down some stairs.

There were double doors at the end of the staircase and I knew that had to be it. I also knew that no one was inside or on this premises for that matter. I didn't smell or hear anything. Everything inside that room, was dead.

The sheriff made hand signals and his officers all got into position and then they barged into the room. I sighed and just went to wait outside.

"This is it," said the sheriff, coming out moments after. "This here is our guy, too bad he isn't around. That only means—"

"He's already out hunting for his next target!" I growled.

"You know, most serial killers mutilate bodies as a way of keeping them as trophies or token. They often store them inside jars or something..."

I was already half annoyed and wanted to leave so I could take my mate home. "Get to the point, sheriff!"

"It doesn't look to me like he's removed their uteruses for pleasure. The evidence shows that he's conducting experiments."

"Huh?" I darted my eyes at the sheriff. I didn't expect him to find that inside that lab, which meant I had to go have a look myself. But then I felt it.

This shock within my chest, which went down my spine. It was a very unsettling feeling my mind registered as danger and my alpha as our mate being in danger. Kaya was in trouble.