TWO

Amber retreated to her bedroom, eager to change out of the hideous costume she had been wearing. The constant harassment directed at her sister, Anika, was starting to wear her down. She couldn't fathom where the rumors about Sam and Anika being the masterminds originated from.

In her room, she swiftly changed into a comfortable ensemble: a long-sleeved floral undershirt, a green overshirt, and black jeans, paired with boots. Letting out a sigh of relief, she allowed her long hair to cascade down her back as she made her way to her bed, seeking solace from the chaos outside.

Just then, the door swung open, revealing Breann, dressed in a tank top and pajama pants. Breann had become one of Amber's closest friends since moving to New York. Although she maintained a cautious demeanor, Amber found her to be pretty cool and reliable.

"Hey, Ambs, are you alright?" Breann asked, walking into the room with a warm smile.

Amber returned the smile, appreciating Breann's concern. "Hi," she greeted softly, motioning for her to come in.

"I heard about what happened at the party. Are you okay? You don't seem yourself," Breann remarked, attempting to lighten the mood with a joke as she settled into the chair near Amber's bed.

Amber sighed, her gaze fixed on Breann. "Yeah, I'm fine. People can be real pains in the ass," she confessed. "Especially my girlfriend."

Breann nodded in understanding. "Oh, yeah, I heard about that," she confirmed.

Amber's curiosity piqued. "How did you find out?"

"Word travels fast among the others," Breann replied, emphasizing the interconnected nature of their social circle.

Amber sighed, her thoughts wandering. "Yeah, sometimes I wish she could see things from Sam's perspective. I don't mean to sound like a hypocrite, but I did the same thing to Anika. It took me a while to realize she was just looking out for me," she admitted, a touch of self-reflection in her voice. "I mean, I ended up with a broken hand from someone I thought was way weaker than me," she joked, eliciting a giggle from Breann.

"Same here. When my older sister passed away, my mom became a little stalker-ish," Breann confessed, a hint of resignation in her voice. "She would follow me everywhere I went and call me every five seconds. She even tried to convince me to attend a college closer to home. So, I guess I had my own number one stalker," she shrugged, attempting to lighten the mood.

Amber's expression softened, a bittersweet smile forming on her face. Despite the weight of their respective experiences, they found solace in their shared understanding, forging a bond strengthened by empathy and the ability to find humor in the face of adversity. "but then I realised that she meant well so i started being a tad bit nicer."

There was a knock on the door, interrupting their conversation. Tara stood outside, wearing an awkward smile. Breann hummed quietly, understanding the need for privacy. "I'll leave you two to chat," she said, rising from her seat and exiting the room.

Tara entered the room, her gaze falling upon Amber reaching for a pill bottle on the nightstand. Amber handed it to her, a smile gracing her lips. "Thank you. I think I'll head back to my apartment. I believe all the fighting is over," Tara said, her cheeks flushed with a hint of embarrassment.

Amber's expression turned playful. "Aw, but I was really hoping you would stay," she teased, reaching out to grab Tara's hands and pulling her closer to the bed.

A mischievous smile played on Tara's lips as she took a seat beside her girlfriend. "Oh, yeah?" she replied, her tone laced with curiosity.

Amber nodded, her eyes filled with affection. "Mhm," she affirmed, their shared intimacy filling the air with warmth and anticipation.