FOUR

As the girls made their way through the crowd, they were bombarded with relentless questions from the press. The reporters closed in, eagerly seeking answers. Suddenly, Gale Weathers, microphone in hand, stood before them with a self-assured smirk. Anika rolled her eyes at the sight of her.

"Gale Weathers, Channel 4," she introduced herself, her tone dripping with a mix of curiosity and accusation. "Do you ladies believe you're the reason the killer has come to the Big Apple?" she inquired, expecting a reaction.

Anika scoffed, shaking her head in disbelief. Fueled by frustration, she made a quick attempt to punch Gale, but the seasoned journalist skillfully evaded the blow. "Nice try, sweetie. I've danced this dance a few times-"

Before Gale could finish her sentence, Amber, wearing a frown of determination, delivered a swift punch to Gale's face, catching her off guard. "Stay away from us," Amber warned sternly, her message clear.

Anika and Amber resumed their walk, determined to escape the intrusive press. However, their attention was swiftly diverted as a car pulled up in front of them. To their astonishment, Sam and Tara emerged from the vehicle, their expressions mirroring a mix of surprise and concern.

Gale trailed behind the two girls, attempting to address the lingering animosity between them. "Are you guys really still mad at me?" she inquired, her tone tinged with a mix of curiosity and concern.

Anika turned to face Gale, her expression firm. "You said you wouldn't write a book, and then you wrote a book," she reminded Gale, the disappointment evident in her voice.

Gale countered, her defense laced with a touch of exasperation. "Oh, come on. Someone was bound to write a book about what happened. It's what I do. True crime is all the rage these days!"

Anika's tone grew sharper as she responded, "After everything we went through together? What would Dewey think?" Her words carried a hint of betrayal.

Gale looked at Anika, her eyes showing a flicker of hurt. "Low blow," she muttered, acknowledging the pain caused by the mention of Dewey, her former partner.

Anika didn't back down, her stance unwavering. "Well, so was your book," she asserted, reminding Gale of the hurtful impact her actions had on their relationship. "You called me unstable and a natural born killer."

"That's taken out of context," Gale shrugged, attempting to downplay the significance of her actions.

Anika looked at Gale, her annoyance evident in her expression. "It's literally a quote," she retorted, her tone conveying a mix of frustration and disbelief, as if she couldn't fathom how Gale could deny the direct representation of her own words.

Gale shared the news with them. "I talked to Sidney," she revealed, her tone tinged with a mixture of relief and concern.

Amber, looking hopeful, asked the question that lingered in the air. "Is she coming?" she inquired, searching for reassurance. Gale shook her head, her expression reflecting a mix of understanding and sympathy.

"No, she and Mark have taken the kids somewhere safe. Sidney deserves her happy ending," Gale explained, her voice laced with admiration for her longtime friend.

Amber nodded, a sense of agreement settling between them. "Something we can all agree on," she remarked, acknowledging the importance of Sidney's well-being. With that, Anika and Amber made their way to the waiting car, quickly climbing inside. Sensing the urgency, Amber signaled for Sam to start driving, prompting Sam to comply without delay.

➩➩➩➩➩

The following day, everyone gathered outside, ready to delve into the intricacies of the movies and unravel the mystery together. Mindy, determined to redeem herself, took charge.