Prologue

DJ Pov

As I watched my daughter run around haphazardly, tripping over her feet and then getting up and repeating the process, I couldn't stop the small smile that graced my face. It was the first time I ever let her truly loose and she was making full use of the newfound freedom. Not even minutes in this small town and she already had found a friend to play with.

Alice, who currently was imitating the newfound friend she had found, noticed my smile and tilted her head in curiosity. I waved her off, and was just content to enjoy her happiness.

Times like these, I missed them. Moments where you can just sit back and relax. But all things must come to an end. Day soon faded into a dim evening, and it was time to bid her friend goodbye.

So with a forlorn expression, Alice said her goodbyes and ran back to my side. I made to leave with her, but felt a small hand suddenly grab my shirt.

"Um, mister?"

"Mm?" I looked down at the person grabbing my shirt.

A boy of no more than 9 years of age stared back at me. His brown hair a ruffled mess, and his brown eyes trembling in apprehension as he summoned the courage to ask me a question.

"Mister, will you bring Alice back? I don't know why but today seemed like the most fun she's had in years, and i want to ensure she can continue having fun."

"Is that so?" came my amused response.

I glanced at Alice who was back to her default expression of flat and emotionless, before looking back at the boy who was waiting for an answer.

"What's your name kid?"

"Issei! Issei Hyoudou sir!"

issei huh? Well then... Seeing as how Alice is over here vibrating with excitement at the thought of hanging out with him..

"I don't see why not. But you have to promise to be her helper when I'm not around ok?"

Issei nodded vigorously.

"I will don't worry!"

His eyes then widened for a second as he made an exclamation about being late to go home. He turned around to run off, leaving two very confused and amused people.

"Well then. Shall we go?"

"Mm."

And if anyone noticed the two individuals who vanished in a burst of white light, well. Who will they tell? No one will believe them after all.

________________

I never really was the best person. Back then, I made all sorts of mistakes. I was rude, sarcastic, and a bit trigger happy. My solution to most problems was to simply kill them. Hah! As if that would fix them. After a while, I simply couldn't care anymore. I lost basic human feelings. I forgot what it meant to be truly happy. Everyday I walked around with that same hollow smile. Simply nodding along to most things people said, not truly listening, nor truly caring. I was, for lack of better phrase, simply drifting along in the sea called life.

I never bothered to try and make friends. Why should I? After all, they would just hurt me like all others before them. I began to act loud and obnoxious. I pushed people away with brutal comments, and destroyed them verbally, all in the hopes they would leave me alone. I chose to push them away before they could do it to me first. Yet deep down. I craved companionship/ I longed for someone to understand the person claiming to be alone. Someone who could look past my defenses and love me for me. A fragile broken thing which was on it's last legs.