Chapter 4: Patrolling The City With...

While walking through the halls of the Palais Mermonia, Hakim was lost in his thoughts to the point of not realizing he bumped into someone.

"Hey...!" A faint voice said, it felt  so far away from Hakim's ears he could barely hear it.

"Hello???"

"Teyvat to Hakim!"

Only then was Hakim able to return to reality was when the person waved their hand in front of him.

It was Furina.

After Furina was sure Hakim was back to the present, she took a step back.

She cocked her eyebrow, "Are you good? You seem to be lost in thought. You didn't hear me even after I called your name so many times."

Hakim shook his head, "No, no I'm good, I was just thinking about why I was made Captain of the Gardiennage when I've only got the job." He reasoned.

That wasn't the entire truth but it also wasn't a lie, that and the fact he's only been in this place for a day. Though, he did not exactly know how long, he only counted the day he's been here when he woke up.

Furina nodded her head understanding his confusion.

The reason why he was the Captain was because Furina pulled the strings, she had asked Neuvillette to give him the position because she wanted to get to know him better and grow closer. She didn't want this to slip. After all, this might be the only relationship closer than acquaintances she might ever have in her time as the "Hydro Archon," she wasn't even sure what kind of relationship she has with the ludex.

Of course, Furina knew that Neuvillette wasn't the type to give such titles and the authority that comes along with it to just anyone. So Furina put on a grandeur performance and dramatically stating the reasons on why he should make Hakim the Captain.

Along the lines of:

"He's very capable! I've met him before you did, we had quite the conversation."

"I'm sure he is strong enough to take on the duties of Captain and protecting the people of Fontaine."

"I, Furina de Fontaine also known as Focalors, the God of Justice! Give my blessing to Mr. Hakim Valk for the position of Captain of the Maison Gardiennage!"

"I truly believe he has the mind to take care of such responsibilities."

"My dear ludex,  I command you to give him a chance to prove his worthiness!"

Neuvillette was skeptical of Furina's whole act and reasonings but she made him not question it.

He sighed, "Lady Furina, I trust that you'll bare the consequences of putting your trust on a foreigner to handle the duties of our nation's governing body if he ever fails?"

Furina agreed, she was willing to risk it. Hoping her upcoming suffering like the mirror-her said would ease them. She believed that maybe making a friend won't hurt too much even though she knew it wouldn't last forever, she promised herself not to get too attached to the point of crying whenever her companion's death ever comes, just enough to ease her pain as acting Archon of Fontaine.

She was snapped out of her thoughts when she heard a chuckle.

"Lookie here, seems like you're the one lost in thought now." Hakim said in a teasing tone. "Now now... Are you good?"

"Of course! I am! I too, was just thinking about why because I know the ludex of Fontaine wouldn't just give out such positions to just anybody." She crossed her arms.

"That's unfortunate, I was about to ask you if you knew why. Guess that went down the drain before I could even do so." Hakim had a disappointed expression planted on his face and a hint of the same heard in the tone of his voice.

"I'm sorry I can't provide you an answer." Furina suddenly felt saddened by the look of Hakim's face so she quickly apologized.

Shocked, Hakim immediately reassured Furina. "Oh no no, you don't have to apologize. Just because you're the Archon I don't think it means that you know everything of what goes on in people's mind."