Chapter 6: Toolbox

As Furina left the couple's abode, Hakim started to think of a way on how to fix the broken fence. But he knows it won't be so easy because the fence's damaged very badly.

'This won't be an easy fix... I should ask the couple for the materials needed, maybe they have it.' With this thought in mind, he made his way over to the cottage.

He knocked on the door and waited for either Martha or Kacey to open it.

"Coming!" He heard a faint voice say.

After a few seconds the door opened revealing Kacey.

"Oh? Captain Valk? What brings you here? We're not yet finished with preparing your tea and snacks, so please wait a moment. Is there something you need?" The older man asked the younger one.

Hakim shook his head, "Take your time, Furina isn't back yet and I'm not yet hungry, there isn't any need to worry about. But yes I do need materials to fix the fence."

Kacey sighed in relief, "Phew! That's good to know, I thought I'd have to ask Martha to pick up the pace, anyways... Come in, the toolbox is in the attic, I'm afraid I won't be able to carry it down and bring it to you." After talking he made way for Hakim to get in.

"It's fine, I know the reason why." Hakim chuckled.

"Ah, thank you for understanding." Kacey smiled.

When Hakim got in followed by Kacey, he was greeted by Martha, "Captain Valk? Are you hungry? I apologize I'm not yet finished with the--"

Hakim cut Martha off by raising his hand, "I'm sorry for cutting you off, it's alright you can take your time. I'm just here to take the toolbox so I can fix the fence."

"I see, well the stairs are over there. You should find the toolbox in the attic." Martha pointed at the stairs.

"It's pretty dusty, as I wasn't  able to use it since I've had nothing I needed to fix until now. But unfortunately, I'm too old to do that now. The toolbox is big and there's a lot of tools you'd be able to use in fixing the fence." Kacey described the toolbox, it's condition, and why it's become like that.

Hakim smiled, "It's okay, I can deal with that. If you'll excuse me, I'll go on up and take the toolbox."

Kacey nodded, but Martha stopped Hakim from going going upstairs yet, "Here don't forget to bring this candle, it's dark in the attic. This is the only source of light we use when we're up there." She handed Hakim the candle and a match, he took the candle, match, thanked Martha, and went up the stairs.

Arriving at the attic, Hakim coughed a bit because of the dust. He put the candle down on the table he saw, and lit the match with a flick of his finger. He picked the candle up, lighting it with the match, putting the fire from the match out, and throwing it in a trash bin that was there.

After doing that he went ahead his eyes scanning the attic, trying to find where the toolbox is.

Lo and behold, it was at the back of the attic. He got rid of a few dust and opened the box. Inside, he found what a toolbox usually has; a hammer, screwdrivers, nails, wrenches, pliers, measuring tape, all of that.

'Exactly what I need, alright I'll bring this down and finally fix that fence.' With that thought in mind, he closed the toolbox, and carried it. His other hand was still holding the candle. The box was surprisingly light for him.

Maybe because he was young, he thought. And not like Kacey who was already old.

He shrugged it off and made his way back down the stairs.

"Oh! Seems like you quickly found that toolbox." He was greeted by Martha, "Sure did, it was at the back of the attic." Hakim replied, "Well, that's not much of a surprise. I had a feeling it would be there, you've just confirmed it." Kacey chuckled out.

Hakim blew the fire of the candle out and gave it back to Martha, "Your feelings were right Monsieur, anyway I shall be returning to the fence and fix it as much as I can. I'll try to make it look as good as new!" Hakim informed the couple.

"We'll look forward to it Captain. And hopefully by the time you're done with that and by the time Lady Furina also finds and brings back the sheep, our tea and snacks would be done by then." Martha said in hopefulness.

"You needn't have to worry about it, I have a feeling that both me and Furina may take some time to finish fixing the fence and finding that sheep." Hakim said trying not to make Martha anxious as he could tell she wanted to give them those when he and Furina finished.

The pastries she was currently making, sure was taking it's time to finish baking.

Hakim got rid of more dust off of the toolbox and spoke, "Time's a-wasting, so I should get a move on by now."

Martha went back to her pastries and Kacey told Hakim, "Thank you again Captain, we'll try to finish the pastries by the time you finish fixing the fence and Lady Furina finding the sheep."

"I'll take my leave for now then." Hakim turned towards the door, leaving the cottage, and making his way back to the fence.

On his way there, he thought about how Furina was doing.

But he was sure she'll be able to find those sheep in no time.

A/N

I told ya'll this story will start of slow T~T
We're already on Chapter 6, but there's nothing interesting going on! (yet...)
But I still hope you're all still enjoying the story so far! <3

Just to clear something up, I wasn't sure if Genshin's timeline had a measuring tape, or pliers. But I still put it there, I was sure the game had a hammer, wrench, nail, and a screwdriver though. But if I'm actually wrong please do tell me.

This chapter really just focused and revolved around on finding a toolbox, sorry if it's not really interesting. I thought it would be funny making a chapter like this.

I originally planned for this chapter to feature Furina as well, her trying to find the sheep while Hakim fixed the fence. But I changed it and decided that the next chapter would be focusing more on Furina. (Of course, Hakim would still be featured in the chapter but I plan to focus on Furina more.)

Also Hakim and Furina should've finished their quests in this chapter or just Hakim, but again (another but) thought why not separate these chapters instead? A chapter featuring Hakimj trying to find a toolbox and fixing the fence and Furina trying to find those sheep. So I did just that.

Fun Fact: these are the titles I originally wrote for this chapter: A Favor Done/Fixing The Fence.

Because as I said they should've finished in this chapter or Hakim should've finished fixing the fence.

But I scrapped that and went with this.

(Apologies for the short chapter again, I'll make a 15/16 minute chapter again in future chapters! Just look out for that :D)

Anyway with all of that said, thank you for reading, hope you enjoyed, and see ya'll next chapter! >3<

Sincerely,

Yiyi.