Moon Phases

The night breeze hums against Paulo's face. He shivers from the cold. Never he did thought that Ken's province is this cold. He accompanied the younger to his hometown and now, he can't even tell the other guy that he's freezing cold.

How downright comical that Ken used to tease him that he lives inside a freezer and even calls him hotdog. Oh well, he's a Hotdog Man if he'd say. He loves hotdog not to mention sinigang. He can even make use of a sinigang na hotdog if he likes. In Ken's mind, he lives in a freezer but is now struggling despite of his thick cardigan since the night breeze really crawls into his skin.

"Uy, taga freezer!" That's what Ken usually yells at him with his childish grins and Paulo had to roll his eyes but never commented on it as he is used to it.

Paulo breaths in before brushing his palms against each other, searching for the amount of warmth that he needed before cupping his small face. There, he got it but it's not enough.

"At bakit ba kasi nasa balcony ako?" he ranted more to himself.

He was about to go back inside when he felt Ken behind him. He breaths into the younger's charming scent. He turned around only to find him with soft blankets and a tray of hot choco with him.

"Hala, nag-abala ka pa," he sheepishly approached him and help him carry the tray before settling it in the coffee table.

Ken smiled brightly. "Wala ito. Camping muna tayo rito sa balcony. Saktong-sakto at may dala akong kumot. Sa'yo itong isa."

"Thank you." Paulo smiled as he makes himself comfortable against the soft cushion. He then wrapped himself with the blanket that Ken handed him earlier.

"Look, ang daming stars!" Pointed the younger at the twinkling stars above.

"Sobra. Ang gaganda nila pero nakikita mo ba ang buwan ngayon?" ask Paulo as he pointed the moon.

"New moon?" It sounded like a statement more than a question.

"Yup! Parang ano siya, uhm... ano ba? New chapter kung baga. Panibagong lunar cyle. Ah, ewan ko. Basta para siyang nagpapahiwatig ng panibagong pag-asa. Parang sunrise lang din na after everything that happened, there's always a reason for you to start a new chapter. Basta, iyong mga gano'n. Gets mo na naman siguro iyan," Paulo said as he took a sip on his hot choco.

"Gets ko. Kung baga sa isang relationship din, parang new beginning. 'Di ba? Para siyang phases or something like that. Parang tayo lang. I mean, iyong relationship nating dalawa," added Ken.

Paulo had to stop for a second. "Ha?"

"Hindi. Kasi 'di ba we're talking about the moon?" Ken then bit his tongue.

The older nooded. "Oo nga."

"Iyon nga. Inihahambing ko lang. Same rin sa sinabi mo tungkol sa pagsikat ng araw." May pag-asa pa naman sigurong mag-step up ang phases natin, Pau.

Paulo chucks. "Ahhhh... you mean our friendship ba? Oo nga ano? Parang moon phases lang din."

"Aray naman sa friendship!" Ken exclaimed dramatically in his head.

"First quarter after new moon. Parang second phase rin ng relationship natin. Iyong nagkakaintindihan na tayo. Iyong wala nang ilangan because we're best buds na, 'di ba? Kung baga ano, perfect cresent." Paulo then nodded, as if he's so proud to have Ken as his best pal.

Ken cleared his throat. "Natumbok mo, dre. Galing mo."

Paulo laughs heartily. "Ano ba ang next? Full moon na ba? So ito ang exciting part. Mas na-established na ang pagkakaibigan natin. Mas naging matatag tayo. Alam mo iyon, solid. Solid na samahan."

"Yeah, hindi nga tayo natibag sa last quarter eh." Ken winked.

"Exactly kaya nga pagdating ng new moon, we're stronger than ever. Parang ang new moon ang reminder natin about our bond's consistency and tama ka, hindi tayo matitibag." Paulo smiled at the sky.

There is a moment of silence between them until the younger crashes in. "Hindi ba talaga tayo matitibag, Pau?"

"Hmmm... bakit?"

"Paano kung sasabihin ko sa'yong mahal kita? I mean not because we're friends but in a romantic way. " Ken nervously played with his shaky fingers. He can't even look at the older.

Paulo is silent and he is afraid but whatever the consequences after this, he will deal with it later. "I'm sorry, Pau."

"Para saan?" asked the older in almost a whisper.

"Because of this feelings. I understand kung lalayo ka o mandidiri ka sa'kin. I just can't take this anymore. Mababaliw ako kapag hindi ko pa sasabihin sa'yo ang totoo," he confesses.

"Ken..."

"Sorry. Hindi ko sinasadya, Pau. Hindi ko napigilan eh. Sorry kung nabigyan ko ng meaning lahat ng paglalambing mo, lahat ng pag-aalaga mo sa akin at lahat ng mga ginagawa mo para sa akin. I'm sorry, I failed you. I crosses the line. Sorry, I love you. Nahulog talaga ako." He was about to cry.

Paulo sighs, sip on his coffee mug. "You know that you are a moon to me, Ken. Actually, you are my constant companion in my highs and lows and I cannot bear to lose a friend just because of his confession."

With a wide eyes, Ken said, "Hindi ka ba galit?"

Paulo never bothers to answer. He just enjoyed his hot choco. The tension building into Ken's chest is too much to bear but all dissipates when he suddenly felt Paulo reaches out for his hand and even boldly intertwined their fingers together.

Ken knew his best friend so well. His chest is swelling in joy as he looked into the sincere and honest affection in Paulo's expressive eyes.

"Pau..." He squeezes his hand. "Thank you for not judging me."

"Just so you know, Felip Jhon that I never judges you or anything. You know... love, it's like the universe, the whole galaxy even. Ang misteryoso nito. The idea of love is infinite so why judge?"

"Tama na. Hulog na hulog na ako eh." Ken then pouted heavily. He is happy, of course who wouldn't be? But he is also hurting for some reason.

"Why fear of falling? Ken, I am your gravity. You'll always be home. You're always welcome in my arms. You won't go any further. You will always ended up with me," said Paulo.

Ken nearly fainted as he gasped audibly. He then heard how Paulo laughed at him loudly. He glared at the older. "Pakshet ka, Nase! Pinapasakay mo ba ako?"

"Hoy, manligaw ka muna bago ka sumakay. Kapal ng mukha mo eh wala ka ngang license sa akin!" Paulo hissed.

Then Ken is now a human sized tomato due to Paulo's bluntness. "Gagi! Bastos nito!"

The older rolled his eyes. "Arte mo. Kung alam mo lang ang mga pinagsasabi mo kagabi habang tulog ka..."

"A-Anong sinasabi ko?" he nervously tugged his blanket but blushes cutely when he realizes that he's still holding Paulo's hand.

Paulo smirk. "Bahala kang mag-isip."

The younger cleared his throat. "T-That's why you're not surprised anymore? Kailan mo pa alam, Pau?"

Paulo smiled as he played with the other's fingers. "Matagal na. You're talking to me while you're asleep. I was waiting for you to tell me that when you are awake and aware of everything that's happening."

"Pau, gising na gising ako." He stood up and faced the other man. "Mahal na mahal kita."

Paulo smiled as he pointed at the moon. "Ganda ng buwan, ano?"

"Like you, my moon." Ken then leans as he pecked on his cheek. He is happy because in the end, Paulo fancy him and for him, that's the best thing ever happened during his trip to his beloved Province. If only he knew that this kind of trip would make him this brave, he would've planned this trip a long time ago.

But things happened.
Paulo is happy.
And Ken is happier.

THE END