Feelings and DONUTS

Early in the morning, Light was getting ready to go to the colorless guard training grounds. He didn't have training for an hour or so, but it was good to be early. Even if he'd be waiting there for half an hour.

Then there was a knock. Light straightened and put on his best stoic look. "Come in."

The door opened, and Yellow stepped in holding a box of something, grinning. "Morning, Light. I brought donuts, since you never eat breakfast."

Light looked down at the donuts, frowning a bit. There were a bit more than half a dozen in the box. "I got chocolate, vanilla, custard filled, jelly filled...all that stuff. Yummy, huh?" Yellow sat down at Light's desk and chomped down on a donut, smirking at Light.

"You didn't have to do that..." Light muttered, leaning against his desk and grabbing a jelly filled donut. He gingerly took a bite. Okay, that was good. Very sugary, almost overwhelmingly so.

"There was a sale." Yellow shrugged. "Also, you need food in the mornings. Ever heard of a balanced diet?"

Light rolled his eyes. "Having donuts for breakfast is not a balanced diet."

"Whatever. At least it's food." Yellow jabbed at him playfully.

Light finished his donut quickly, and Yellow followed suit. "You want any more?"

"I haven't had that sugary of a food for at least a year now. I think I'd explode."

"Okay." Yellow chuckled, leaning back in Light's chair. He looked at Light, leaning quietly with a face set on a soft frown.

"You know what I've noticed, Light? You never smile. You need to lighten up." Yellow shot him finger guns.

Light frowned at that, per usual. "I smile. A lot." He grumbled. "Also, that pun sucked. You need to be more original."

"I'm so sorry." Yellow rolled his eyes. "No, but seriously. Give me a smile."

Light hesitated a little. He tried his best to move his face in a way that could pass as a decent smile. He wondered for a second if he looked ridiculous, but with the way Yellow's eyes focused on him, looking at him affectionately, he could tell it didn't matter to him. Light chose not to question why that filled him with some sort of glee.

"You're pretty when you smile." Yellow stood up and placed a hand on his cheek. Light was a little surprised by the contact, but didn't feel at all uncomfortable. He almost leaned into it. But that would be unprofessional, surely.

"I can't help that I'm gorgeous." Light said smugly. Yellow's thumb moved over his cheek, dipping into the corner of his mouth to playfully force that smile again. Light complied, giving that same awkward smile. Yellow grinned.

"Yes you are." Yellow said. "I love you."

Yellow said that a lot, seemingly every day of Light's life now. Light didn't understand the sentiment too much, he didn't understand 'love' to its fullest. Yet still, his chest always fluttered at those words. He just wished he knew how to say it back. "You flatter me." He said instead of returning the words.

"I love flattering you." Yellow pulled his hand away, and immediately Light wished for the contact again. "It's so easy to flatter you, because there's so many things to appreciate."

"Mm." Light gave him a look. "You'd be surprised. I promise you I am much simpler than you'd think."

"No way. You're incredibly complicated, in the best way possible. Like some kind of puzzle. And I love every piece." Yellow returned Light's look mockingly, exaggerating to the best of his ability. "Especially your smile."

"You're mean." Light stuck his tongue out. Still, his smile creeped back in against his will. Was he blushing? This was so embarrassing.

"You love me." Yellow kissed his hand. Always so touchy, so close. Light didn't hate it, and what he said wasn't a lie. Light still didn't know if he loved it, or if he loved him. And he felt bad about that. Yellow was so open, so daring. Light couldn't even figure out what he wanted for breakfast most days. He hated feeling like an unsolved puzzle, even if Yellow said he loved it.

Yellow said he loved everything a lot of things. Maybe he said it to make Light feel better. Yes, that was it. Had to be.

Light cleared his throat. "I should probably get to the training grounds. The Colorless Guard won't train themselves."

"It starts in an hour." Yellow raised an eyebrow. "It's a five minute walk."

"Yes, well, um- I have lots to prepare. So I'll be seeing you." Light tried the smile again, but this time, it didn't feel right. More awkward, forced. Smiling just didn't fit him.

"I want to see you more often." Yellow looked disappointed. "You're so busy lately. You need a day off."

"You can always join. I'd appreciate your company." Light said quietly. He didn't know why Yellow hadn't joined yet—it seemed like the perfect thing for him. Or maybe that was Light projecting his own wishes. Origin, why was this so complicated?

"I'm still thinking about that." Yellow murmured. The two were quiet for a while. Light didn't like silence; it made him anxious, made him want to move around and do something. Finally, Yellow cleared his throat and spoke. "Well, I'll see you later, I guess. I love you."

He said it again. Light didn't know what to do with that. Those words nestled in his head snugly, refusing to move. They made Light want to be more daring, like Yellow, but simultaneously they made him want to crawl up and disappear. It made him feel big and important, and Light wasn't too used to that yet.

He wanted to say it back. He really did. The words were on the tip of his tongue. But when he thought of saying them, they clung to the roof of his mouth.

"I, um...I'll see you." Light nodded a little. He turned to leave, passing through the doors and into the hallway.

"Smile!" Yellow called out to him as he left. And Light did. It was a wonder how much that giddy feeling could do to him and what it could make him do. He grinned happily like an idiot through the halls, passing people who looked almost bewildered at the bright smile. He didn't mind, somehow. He felt lifted.

He wouldn't dwell on it, though. Too unprofessional to think of love and it's forms. Not good for him. Just like donuts, too much of it was unhealthy. And Yellow gave way, way too much of it. That kind of attention was scary, even if it made Light all giddy.

(Lil notes)
GUYS ITS THEM ITS THE BOYS THE GAYS