the red apprentice is GAY

There he was. Copper brown hair with the slightest wave to it, a dark blindfold wrapped around his eyes. He wore a heavy spacesuit, which was silly enough to the point where it wasn't entirely ridiculous. Or maybe that was the Red Apprentice being blinded by admiration.

Sabre was, by all accounts, perfect. Everything that the apprentice wanted to be. Brave, skilled, confident and determined. This was the guy that almost single-handedly took down the darkness! He was doubted by everyone, shunned and hurt by them, yet he fought his hardest anyways, and he won. He was the hero that the Red Apprentice had always dreamed of being.

And Sabre was only a few dozen feet away from him, through a window. The apprentice was lucky enough to catch a glimpse of him while in his house, since Sabre spent most of his time busy someplace else. He was so hardworking, always spending his days in more populated places, places that were harder for the apprentice to hide in.

Of course, there was some questionable morality to watching someone this intensively. The Red Apprentice assured himself he was helping Sabre—he'd leave vague notes around his house, hoping that maybe Sabre would take the hint and be careful. Not only was he helping Sabre, but he was able to make up for technically stalking him! It was a win-win.

And just the other day, he was able to see him face to face!! The apprentice thought back, mind clouded by adoration, to the sight of Sabre only a few feet away from him. So close, the Red Apprentice would've been able to actually shake his hand, pull him close and go all fanboy mode, if only he was able to drop the 'mysterious figure' act.

Really, it was the best thing. If the apprentice kept up this act, he could meet up with Sabre until the end of time! Of course, the Rainbow Kingdom was nowhere near safe enough to allow something like that... the apprentice could only dream.

And dream was what he did. Every day, seemingly. He dreamt of another world where maybe the Red Steves didn't have to be in some sort of self-exile, one where he could walk up to Sabre without a care in the world, introduce himself with that heavy cloak off to feel the wind on his skin.

Interrupting his thoughts, Sabre moved out of his house, tucking the newly placed note into his pocket. The apprentice grinned and waved goodbye, well knowing that Sabre couldn't see him from where he was.

The Red Apprentice knew he had to get back soon—he had to meet up with the Red Leader yet again—and he'd rather be way early than a minute or two late. Absconding into the bushes, he made his way through the Rainbow Kingdom through the trees and greenery.

He walked far enough, disappearing into the trees where no kingdom citizen went, and removed his cloak. A small breeze was blowing, messing around with his bright red hair. He didn't hate the cloak, but man was he tired of it at this point. Whatever, he sighed. He had no plans of stopping anyways.

Silently, he teleported, his world changing instantly. The world turned from the washed out green of the taiga to a more vibrant green, accompanied by the poppy red of the flower bushes. He was home, finally, and with a few minutes to prepare for his meeting-

"Ahem."

The Red Apprentice shut his eyes tightly and cringed. He'd recognize that disapproving tone anywhere. Opening his eyes, he very slowly turned around and was met with the face of the Red Leader.

"Apprentice." The man did not look happy.

"Leader." He straightened, not wanting to look stupid. Still, he already looked stupid; he had been caught red-handed.

"I thought we had solved this issue?" The leader raised an eyebrow. They had spoken of this the last time he was caught—the Red Leader had only been merciful on him because he hadn't been caught, and it was only one time. Plus, anyone could see the leader held some sort of soft spot for his apprentice. Yet, it didn't always feel like that. Especially in moments like these.

"I know, sir." The apprentice shifted his weight between his two feet, smiling awkwardly. The Red Leader just sighed.

"You promised it wouldn't happen again."

"But what if it didn't happen again? What if you're overreacting? You have no proof that I went to the Rainbow Kingdom, you literally haven't left our kingdom since we went into hiding!" The apprentice complained. Maybe it was unwise of him—both as a Red Steve and an apprentice to his leader—to talk back, but here he was.

"Do not give me tone, young man." The Red Leader said, his tone threatening. His apprentice sighed.

"I'm just saying, maybe if you got out there, you'd see that it's not so bad!! The kingdom needs help, and we are just sitting here!" Maybe the apprentice was feeling daring, maybe he was looking to die.

"We work for ourselves, for each other. We don't need this other kingdom." The Red Leader stepped forward, glaring. "You, as my apprentice, should know that more than anyone."

"Well, I don't! I think we do need this kingdom, and even if we don't, they need us! They are struggling-"

"We have seen struggles that the likes of them never have!!" The leader snapped, slapping him across the face. The apprentice stumbled back, more surprised at the action than the sheer force of it.

The Red Apprentice brought a hand to his cheek, not bothering to hide his shock. He had been slapped before, but not by his leader. The slap stung against his skin.

Something flashed in the leader's eyes that wasn't pure anger—regret, maybe?—but it was gone in a second when he straightened his posture and went back to that stone cold, angry expression. "I am trying to protect you. I promise you, I am doing the best for you and our people. This is how it must be."

The Red Apprentice could only nod. He wanted to argue so much more, to try and convince him otherwise, but he feared the possible repercussions. He knew his leader was capable of much more than a slap.

The Red Leader sighed. "I don't mean to hurt you. One day, when you're leader, you'll understand. I hope we agree that this will never happen again."

"Yes sir."

"Good." The Red Leader nodded, his expression solemn. "Forget the meeting. I want you to think about your actions today."

"Yes sir."

Without another word, the leader walked off, leaving his apprentice alone. The moment he disappeared from sight, the Red Apprentice let out a breath he didn't know he was holding. He made his way back to his house, closing the door behind him and leaning against it.

"I just want to make him understand..." he mumbled. The apprentice knew his leader wasn't heartless—he had a complicated reason for everything he did. Even the slap that still stung against the apprentice's cheek. Out of all the selfish wishes he had, one of his biggest was to better understand his leader. Was it really that hard to be a leader, or was there more?

He just wanted to understand. There was only one person that was as old as his leader, and he was not about to go speak with him. (He already had attempted to before, and he never got too far in before the man decided that some experiment was better company than the apprentice was.)

The apprentice could only dream to himself and do his duties. There was nothing else for him in the confines of the Red Kingdom. He thought of the giant kingdom outside their solitude, the thousands of people coming together in near harmony—a harmony that would soon be broken—and of course, he thought of Sabre. Pretty much the only person the apprentice believed could truly stop the Corrected Sun.

He just wanted to help. If only he could help, if only he could do more than place his notes and speak his vague words. He wanted Sabre to know the real him, and maybe they'd be able to work together. On a team. The idea made his heart flutter.

If only it was so easy.