One Night

Clack, clack, clack, clack.

Time heard the sounds of boots on the wood floor, and while it was quiet, it was enough to wake him up. His eyes fluttered open as his senses began to awaken. He and Elemental had fallen asleep on the couch watching and mocking Twilight. It was probably 4 am.

He turned his head towards the door, careful not to wake his brother, and saw Sabre, barely visible in the candle light. Had Sabre lit a candle? Or perhaps Time just forgot to put that one out. Sabre was fiddling with a brown bag, one that Time had rarely seen him with. Sabre usually only used that bag for big excursions.

Time sat up carefully and, with a bit of trouble, untangled himself from his brother's arms. He walked over to Sabre, the floorboards creaking slightly, so he was standing only a few feet behind him. Sabre somehow hadn't noticed him, even with the creaky floor.

"Sabre? What are you doing?" Time placed a hand on Sabre's shoulder. Sabre didn't jump or seem surprised in the slightest.

"Hey." Sabre smiled. He turned to face Time, his face illuminated by the flickering candlelight.

"Go back to sleep." Time urged him softly. His voice was more of a tremble than not, and if he really meant his words as a command, they probably wouldn't work. He was much too tired.

"I thought of something. I'll be back soon." Sabre turned to the secretary desk by the door, and started grabbing at papers and putting them in his bag like Time wasn't there.

"It's still dark out." Time turned to look out the window, which held not even a hint of daylight.

"I know." Sabre smiled again. Somehow sad. He continued looking through papers and gathering them in his bag.

"What are those papers for? What do they say?" Time tried to look over his shoulder to see, but Sabre turned away to face him again.

"Ideas of mine. Plenty boring." Sabre gave that same sad smile and zipped up his bag. What kind of bag has a zipper? His did, apparently.

"Go back to sleep. Please." Time was used to comforting people not getting sleep, but it was usually his brother. Lately, Sabre had been restless as well. Did that have something to do with where he was going? And was it a good thing?

"I'll be back soon." Sabre repeated.

"Fine, then." Time's shoulders sagged a little as he caved. He was too tired to argue. "Take a nap later."

"I will."

Time turned away and took a few steps forward.

"Hey."

He turned to face Sabre again.

"Thank you guys, for everything."

If he wasn't so tired, if he hadn't just woken up, if it wasn't so late at night, maybe he would have caught on and stayed a little longer. Offered a hug. A handshake. A smile. Anything.

"You're welcome?" Time raised an eyebrow and, without another word from either of them, stumbled back towards the couch. He heard the door click open and close. And then it was just him and Elemental, alone.

He laid down with his brother, who stirred slightly. He was hugged a little tighter, and as he tried to sleep, Elemental played with the curls in his hair a bit.

"Stop that. I can't sleep." Time nestled into his brother's chest.

"What was Sabre up to?" Elemental's hands stopped, but still rested in his hair.

"Something about an idea." Time closed his eyes and wondered. Just what had Sabre thought of?

"...Sounds stupid." He deadpanned.

"Goodnight." Time would've rolled his eyes if he wasn't too tired.

"'Night."

(In the morning, Sabre was gone. He couldn't find him for days. The next time he saw Sabre was with a gray, shadowed sword in the hand he once held, ruthlessly slashing through bodies like they were paper. No explanation. No context, no reason. Just a monster wearing the body of his best friend.)