CRDL-04: VS Venopine

** ** ** **

"What the distort'd you do that for?!" Wendy exclaimed at the sight of her smashed Poryphone.

The man's mouth curved into a skin-crawling smile. "Whoops. Guess it can't be helped now." He emitted a quiet, maniacal laugh.

The woman's smile was just as creepy. "Sorry, kiddo. But we don't need that kinda attention." She pulled out a pokéball and sent out a Venopine.

The poison-type squinted at the cousins, as if trying to decide how best to kill them

"Whoa! What's the big idea?" Reed demanded.

This caught the attention of Fang and Antler, who stopped playing and rushed over to their trainer.

The man's maniacal grin only got wider. "It's quite simple. Team Tundra's gonna keep you kids quiet aboot seeing us grunts on duty."

"Team who?" Wendy asked.

"None 'a ya business!" The male grunt sent out a Venopine of his own. "Poison Sting!"

The second Venopine leaned forward, raised its back mohawk, and shot up a barrage of tiny purple darts.

The cousins staggered back from the attack, narrowly avoiding the encroaching wave of darts. At the same time, Fang rushed at the second Venopine and sank his teeth into its neck. The larger poison-type Pokémon shook itself from side to side, but the little ice-type was stubborn.

"Yeah! You show 'em, Fang!" Reed exclaimed.

Antler, though, was knocked down by the first Venopine's Headbutt attack. The Shrubberoose struggled to stand up while the poison-type prepared to Headbutt him again.

"P-p-pteri," Wendy said weakly, "help 'em out, t-too."

Reed snapped his head at his cousin, only to find her on her knees, cradling her left hand. "Sis, what's wrong?" He leaned in closer, and was horrified by what he saw.

Wendy hadn't been so lucky after all. Two purple darts had lodged themselves deeply into her already purpling hand. Reed tried to take hold of it, but even the gentlest touch caused her to flinch.

"Oh Arcoos, it hurts!" Wendy cried, her eyes shut tight in agony.

The little bug-type, meanwhile, fluttered toward the first Venopine, which was just about to take the same stance as its companion did to prepare another barrage of poisonous darts at Antler.

"Oh, don't worry, kiddo," the male grunt said in his maniacal tone. "We won't let the poison take its full effect. You'll be long dead before that ever happens."