The Dragon and the Wolf

Cregan Stark

Outside Winterfell, the North: 130 AC

Cregan Stark had faced down his own blood to take his birthright, faced down Wildlings Beyond the Wall, and stared down the feared Balthazar Bolton into submission.

None of that had prepared him for meeting his betrothed's dragon.

He followed behind her as they approached the area the dragon, Selarion, had chosen to camp out in. She was busy ripping through a massive deer as they approached. That made him pause, all of his instincts screaming for him to flee.

Asteria looked over her shoulder, a faint smile on her face. "Scared, Lord Stark?"

When he had first scene her, he had been surprised. The songs and rumors hadn't done her beauty justice, but they hadn't mentioned her cunning and intellect. That had intrigued and impressed him more than anything.

"No." he lied. "And just Cregan, princess."

She blinked before smiling again, which was brighter than the sun. "You may call me Asteria, then Cregan."

He gave her a small smile before tensing as a set of silver eyes fixated on them. Selarion crooned and approached them, gently nudging Asteria with her snout. Asteria laughed and placed a delicate hand on the scales.

Cregan watched in small awe, the petite Targaryen princess, fearless against the massive dragon. She placed her forehead on the crimson scaled, silver horned dragons snout before the dragon huffed and turned to him.

"I told her that you are to be my betrothed." Asteria explained, walking over to him. "Dragons can smell fear. Selarion knows you're scared."

"I am bloody terrified." Cregan deadpanned, eying the dragon warily. "She's a dragon."

"You haven't meet Vhagar. Selarion's an adult but she's nowhere near as big as the old dragons." Asteria said, as if trying to comfort him. "You're making it worse." Cregan said.

"I'll be with you." the white-gold haired princess said, taking his hand and the Lord of Winterfell relaxed slightly walking up to the Crimson Queen.

If he remembered the rumors correctly, Selarion was Caraxes's daughter. 

How fitting. Cregan thought. The daughter of the Rogue Prince riding the daughter of the Blood Worm.

"Selarion, this is Cregan." Asteria said. The dragon huffed and the amethyst eyed princess huffed. "No, Selarion."

He filed away that dragons could communicate with dragon riders.

She placed his hand on Selarion's snout, and Cregan could feel the smoothness of the scales, and the warmth and heat coming off of it.

The dragon's silver eyes, bigger than a shield, stared into his soul before revealing her teeth.

"She likes you." Asteria said.

"Good." Cregan said, heart pounding. The dragon huffed before backing away, wings spreading to launch into the sky.

Cregan knew exactly what the dragon was doing when revealing her teeth.

If you hurt my rider, you're dead meat.

The Lord of Winterfell was impressed and awed by the intelligence displayed by the dragon. Not an animal, but a creature with a soul and mind of its own.

And Selarion and Cregan have met!