Checkmate

Merry Christmas/Happy Hanukkah everyone!

Italiacs are High Valyrian.

Asteria Targaryen

King's Chamber, Dragonstone Castle, Dragonstone Island: 130 AC

"Hello Kepus." Asteria greeted as she entered the king's chambers. Viserys turned to her, giving her a weak smile from where he was propped up on many pillows.

"Hello, my dear niece." Viserys greeted in High Valyrian, the warmth in his words purely familial. Asteria took a seat next to him. "I'm glad you came."

"What is wrong, uncle?" the Targaryen princess asked in concern, taking her uncle's hand. She began to mutter spells but the final rider of Balerion held up a hand to make her stop.

"This is my final hour, niece. We both know it." Viserys said gently. "I might not be your father but I am very proud of the strong woman you have become. Your father is too, you are his pride and joy. He has loved you since the day he found out you existed, he was so proud to introduce you to the royal court. And you have served and loved this family without fail. But now, I want you to live your own life, to be happy and loved. You, Princess Asteria Targaryen, have my blessing to wed Cregan Stark."

She felt tears run down her cheeks. "Thank you, uncle. You are loved dearly in this family."

Viserys nodded before coughing and coughing. "Aemma, my love." the King gasped before going still.

Asteria bowed her head in respect for her uncle. Death, make sure he finds Aemma. she instructed down her telepathic link.

He will. She is looking forward to seeing him again. Death assured her.

The future Lady of Winterfell got up, took her uncle's crown and the sword Blackfyre, and opened the doors of the room. "Ser Arryk, find the Fire Priestesses, let them prepare my uncle's body. Ser Erryk, seize Queen Dowager Alicent and confine her to her rooms. Make sure they are guarded by loyal guards only. Ser Harrold, protect Prince Jacaerys, make sure no threat gets to him."

All three knights saluted and raced off. Asteria's eyes glowed as she sent her patronus, invisible to all but Rhaenyra, to her cousin. "Viserys is dead. Come to Dragonstone." she said and her dragon of a patronus flew off.

Within fifteen minutes, Syrax landed in the courtyard, Sunfyre at her side. "Ria." Rhaenyra greeted as Asteria approached her in the courtyard. She fell into a deep curtsey before her cousin and presented Viserys's crown and Blackfyre.

"May you have a peaceful and long reign, Queen Rhaenyra." she greeted.

Rhaenyra took the sword and crown, as if in a trance. Tears were in her cousin's eyes, both of sadness and joy.

Aegon bowed first, and the rest of the courtyard followed.

"Long reign the Queen." Aegon declared. "Long may my sister reign."

Checkmate. Asteria thought to herself. You lost Alicent, Otto. My family? We won.

We're almost done!