07

MY FIRST INSTINCT is to scream

MY FIRST INSTINCT is to scream. To let the air from my lungs fly out with so much force I'm able to shatter glass, but I'm restricted when a hand comes from behind and covers my mouth, another up to grab the back of my neck keeping me in place. "Scream and I'll break your neck." there's a whisper in my ear, voice deep and breathy.

My voice is muffled into the hand, my body trembling in his grasp. I think of how I could break free but I'm no one near stronger than the intruder and I realize that the moment I'm not able to turn around and get a look at his face because of the grip he has around my neck. So I try to do the next best thing. I raise a free hand and try to land a punch, but the man quickly evades it before grabbing my hand and turning me around so quickly I almost get whiplash. Before I can even have time to register what's going on I'm pushed onto my bed, a hand still covering my mouth followed by the pressure of body weight overpowering me so I can't get up.

When my senses finally come to and I'm able to register my surroundings my eyes immediately grow large when I see the man hovering over me. High cheekbones and a tattooed neck is the first thing to greet me. His eyes locked down on me like a wolf to a sheep, a different type of fire in them hotter than any flame. I begin to squirm underneath him, praying somehow I'm able to slip away and possibly throw myself out the window if that's my only way to escape.

My voice was muffled by his tight placement over my mouth. I can taste the sweat on his palms, the dirt soaked into his skin. He smelled like outside and gunpowder, the confusing scent making my nose twitch.

"Shhh," He says through gritted teeth, peering down at me with hard eyes. "just be quiet and listen," he whispers.

I squirmed a little more but after a while my muscles grew tired and my breath was hitching in my throat from being able to not breathe properly so I gave in and accepted defeat.

"Shhh," he says again, hand slowly lifting off my mouth. He presses a finger to my lips, his other hand rising to own his mouth before pressing a finger against his pink lips. I raise a brow at him. "good boy." he whispers.

He removes the finger from his lips. "Where's the hard drive?" the words come out of his mouth all nice and slow as if to make sure I understood every word.

My eyes flutter at him, my brain trying to comprehend what had just been asked of me because clearly, he didn't say what I think he said. My face automatically shifts from frightened and anxiety-induced to a more puzzled look, brows furrowing and head tilting. "Really? You broke into my room for a fucking hard drive?" the words come out of my mouth so fast and with so much force I barely understand myself.

He quickly presses a finger to my lips again, pinning me deeper into the mattress. My heart starts to race again but after a second pass, he lifts his finger from my mouth allowing me to speak again. "You broke into my room for a fucking hard drive?" I repeated the sentence in a harsh whisper as if he didn't hear me the first time.