11

BEING IN THE  car with a mafia boss was definitely on my list of things I never expected to happen to me during my lifetime

BEING IN THE  car with a mafia boss was definitely on my list of things I never expected to happen to me during my lifetime. Yet, here I am riding in the backseat of a Rolls Royce with one only a few inches away from me. Even with the comfortable padded seating with personal heating controls, a high definition 16-inch television playing a current basketball game that plays through the surround sound speaker above us, and underneath that a small cabinet with whiskey and small glasses, I still felt uneasy being in the car.

Stone sits in the seat next to me with his right leg over his left. I find it so strange how well he cleans himself up. A person would never think the man in the expensive-looking suit with a white cotton turtle neck underneath that clung to him so nicely you could see the muscles forming underneath him was also running the underground criminal ring.

"So . . ." I prolonged the word as my eyes wandered around the spacious car for a quick moment, landing on Stone who was too busy taking a sip of whiskey from a glass to look at me. "where are you taking me? Should I be worried?"

He swallows the brown liquid down and I watch his large Adam's apple bobble up and down in his throat. "The only thing you should be worried about is if I change my mind and decide to leave you to the wolves." he stirred the ice cubes in his drink sending me a look and I rolled my eyes turning to face out the tinted window.

"You can't just come and snatch me up whenever you feel like it. I have things I have things to do too you know?"

"Like what?" His face scrunched up at me like that was the most nonbelievable thing he'd heard all day and I feel slightly offended.

"I have work. I dance. I have practice Tuesday — Fridays and sometimes Saturday depending on the weather. I can't just stop living my life because you wanna snatch me any time you want to do whatever."

Stone blinked his long lashes at me. "I'm not just snatching you away to do whatever," he repeated my words in an almost grotesque manner. "did or did you not say in your room that night that you would do whatever I asked if I vowed to keep your ass from getting killed because you said and I quote "I'm too young to die," he mocks me in a voice that sounds nothing like my own.

"I did say that but-"

"Alright then," he starts again cutting me off. "so to make sure you don't end up somewhere in a ditch because you wanna play with hard drives you're gonna work for me for a little while."

My left brow raised sharply at him. "Work for you? Doing what exactly? I'm no killer. I can't even kill a bug I have to ask Semaj or Tristian." Stone makes a face at me but doesn't answer me immediately, instead looks into his glass before taking a long swig downing the entire glass in a few sallows. "You'll see," he mumbles lowly.

"Are people even out to kill me? I mean knock on wood . . ." My eyes frantically search around the car finding the nearest piece of wood and tapping it with my knuckles. "but I've been walking around pretty safe these last couple of days."