Chapter 10

Chapter 10/Dumbledore and the Doe

It was like having my heart and throat torn out at once.

I was sure that the wetness I felt running down my hands was blood, and that the same red liquid stained my temples and my lips. It wasn't fun, playing the role of Bellatrix's doll, but the satisfaction of knowing they couldn't the information they wanted out of me kept me going. 

"You're being foolish, sweetie. You're going to die anyway, so you might as well make the process easier on yourself." Bellatrix cooed, tucking her fingers under my chin and propped my head up when my neck felt too sore to do so. I did my best to glare at her, though everything had turned a little fuzzy in the past few hours- from blood loss or exhaustion, I wasn't entirely sure. Maybe the cruciatus had really damaged some part of my brain.

Idly, I thought of the Longbottoms and felt nauseous.

That wouldn't be me.

"You're fighting a losing battle, Bellatrix. Just give up now and make it easier on yourself." I snarked easily, entirely unsurprised by the slap that turned my neck to the point of it cracking. I grimaced.

"Insufferable!" Bellatrix screeched. "If I hadn't been ordered to keep you alive, I'd-"

"Have killed her ten times over. As you've told all of us, Bella." Narcissa's voice was silk-like and unamused. "Perhaps you should take a break."

"The Dark Lord does not believe in breaks!"

"You are getting nowhere. You are exhausting yourself. I will handle the child from here. Go rest and come back later." Narcissa suggested. Bellatrix bared her teeth, but after a quick glance at me, she seemed to come to the conclusion that I would in no way be leaving anytime soon. Finally, she nodded.

"Very well, Cissy. But if you get one word out of her- even a peep!- I want to be the first to know."

"I assure you, you will be." Narcissa said coolly. Bellatrix still didn't look pleased, but from what I could see, she didn't glance back as she stalked out of the room. Relieved that she was gone, and hoping Narcissa wouldn't jump into the torture too quickly, I relaxed against the pole I had been tied to, hands up above my head and secured with a rope too rough to by magic but too strong to not have been charmed with something.

Sleep was a flighty creature, and I let out a huff as it seemed to once again evade me, just dancing around the corners of my vision. Closing my eyes, I tried to force the darkness to the forefront- but while I tried to set my beating heart at ease, my mind knew I was not alone and could not settle. Finally, when I felt as though my voice wouldn't burn with the effort, I spoke.

"Best just get on with it. I'm a busy girl with a hectic schedule, you know." I said dryly, cracking an eye open. Narcissa hadn't attempted to move forward, but she eyed me with a closed-off expression that I could not and had not intention to read. I stared back as evenly as I could when she finally saw fit to speak.

"Your attitude is what gets you into situations like this."

"Actually, I'm pretty sure it's that lunatic you call your Master."

Narcissa didn't look pleased, but unlike her sister, didn't attempt to rebuke the comment. Instead, she stepped forward, and it was then that I noticed the small glass she held in her hands.

"Would you like some water?"

"Is it poisoned?"

"Would you care if it was?" She returned, a pale eyebrow raising. I stared at her doubtfully, before making my decision: No. I did not.