so it goes...

"And all pieces fall, right into place"

Inayat's POV

Being back in your hometown after ten years feels quite strange, doesn't it? That's what I've been feeling for the past few months. After doing my B. Ed alongside my B. SC and then M.Sc in Mumbai and getting a job right there, I finally came back to my beloved city, Udaipur.

I didn't just come back as an alumni to my school this time, but rather as a teacher. It feels so awkward. I kind of work with people who taught me as a student? Maharana Mewar Public School, my love. Well maybe.

Today is the last day of school before Diwali vacation starts. It's only been four months since I've joined as a teacher and the students love me so far and I love them so much too. They have their last exam today, it's an easy one.

The classes experienced a change in the feeling of anxiety and tension that the white walls of the classes held for the last three hours as the bells rang and the students ran off joyfully outside the classes. The satisfaction to see that smile on their faces is extremely peaceful to see. I walk towards the staffroom and wave towards the kids for one last time for the upcoming twenty-one days.

I enter the staff room, sit on my designated seat and take out my phone from my tote bag. I see a notification from WhatsApp under the name 'Jiju'. I wondered what it was that I had done now.

Meet me, today at six. I need your help.

Help? What help does he, the so-called King of the city, need from me? I started typing a reply not sure what to write.

Where at?

I replied, pretending as if I hadn't read the help part.

Your place.

He immediately replied.

Time passed a little too soon as in no time I was at my place and in no time was it almost six in the evening. My brother-in-law had already arrived, apparently everyone at home except me knew what was going on. My sister hadn't come, though. Typical Nisha didi.

Both of us walked to my room and he asked me to sit down and then sat beside me. He immediately stood up again. He started walking to and fro and pinched the space between his nose and eyes. He looked at me, then at the ceiling and then at me again. Why is he acting like that?

"So, Inayat, I am really sorry to be asking you for this. But I really need your help, it's something that can't be avoided. Please promise me you'll say yes." He spoke, a worried tone.

Oh, no. Now he's scaring me. He's not going to ask me to do something really stupid or scary, is he? I started playing with the ring in my left hand, hoping this would end soon. I don't say anything, giving him the indication that I'm not giving him any promises, yet.

"Something really bad happened recently and it has been affecting the family business's reputation very badly in the market. We're trying to do our best to control it. But, it's not working. The PR team says that this can only be saved by something as big as a wedding. Although this is too much that I'm asking you for, can you please help me out with this?" He spoke and again sat down next to me.

Fury takes its place in my eyes as they stare at us. This person has the audacity to ask me to get married just like that? He's asking me to get married? Me!?

"What do you mean, Jiju? Have you lost it completely? I am not getting married, I have goals to achieve before getting married. Besides, why would I even become part of a loveless marriage? Don't I deserve love like the one you've given to didi?" I too stood up, trying my best to keep my voice to the normal decibel, which I clearly failed at.