(iv) the archer

"I say I don't want that,"

Advait's POV

I stood there in front of her as her hands shivered to make a call. She called whoever it was and started talking to them, about me, obviously. She called me 'the friend who wasn't invited to her twenty-first.' That doesn't even make any sense.

She cut the call and tears formed in her eyes and they fell on her cheeks. She stood up to walk away. It's her habit, to make sure no one sees her emotions flowing out of her.

I knew I couldn't just let her go in the balcony crying like that, what if Vaidehi's parents were in the garden? Or Vaidehi and Kabir? They'd kill me.

I pulled her closer to me and locked her between the wall and my hands a little away from both sides of her face. She tried to get out of my hold but I didn't let her do so. She pushed me away and tried to get away, still nothing worked. I've been working on this piece of art since I was sixteen, ain't nothing gonna work, sweetheart.

"You're not gonna be able to leave my hold," I let out a dry chuckle and frowned sarcastically. More tears fell from her eyes to her cheeks. I clenched my jaw and my fingers grouped to form a fist.

"Maybe I can't but what if I call anyone upstairs, huh? What would happen to you then?" She wiped her tears and spoke bitterly.

"You won't do such a thing because I'll let you out on two conditions." I announced and a smirk took its place on my face. She looked at me with disgust.

"I couldn't care less, douchebag." She stared straight at my eyes and stared back.

"Like I said before, I have a name, call me by that and stop crying and you'll be free." I said as another fell to her cheeks and she wiped it off.

"What makes you think I'll say your name? Keep on dreaming. And besides, you don't need to act so caring. I can handle myself so, stop controlling me. Plus, you're not why I'm crying. I couldn't care less about you." She announced and rolled her eyes.

"Oh, is it so? Then why is it that you're crying? Please, do me the favor of telling me." I said, sarcastically.

"That's none of your business but if you're so eager to know, that's because parso se maine Kaju ko nahi dekha. And if you don't know, Kaju is my pet dog." She said and pushed my hands away and I let her for some reason.

(I haven't seen Kaju since the day before yesterday.)

She wiped off that lone tear remaining on her cheeks and went out of the room, slamming the door behind her. I sighed and screamed internally. What and who have I got myself into? This woman will be the literal death of me.

I also walked out and then downstairs with a fake smile plastered on my face. I collided with Bhai Sa who looked relieved to see me. He asked me to follow him and we went into the guest bedroom downstairs.

"Bhai Sa, have you all gone crazy? Or are you all planning to make me go crazy? Who does this to a younger brother, huh?" I spoke, my disappointment was clear in my words.

"See, Advait, I know you've had your ups and downs with Inayat in the past few years but—" He started speaking and I couldn't even keep a straight face.

"Few years? Eleven damned years, Bhai Sa. And whatever was or according to you is between the two of us, is for us to decide not you, not Bhabhi Sa, not Maa Sa, not Baba Sa, no one, except me and her." I put my point. I am not wrong.

"I get it, Advait. I really do, but you're the best version of yourself when you're around her and it is the same for her. You'll understand one day why we did this." He argued.