Chapter 26 - The Fourth Champion

The next twenty-four hours, although exciting to many others, were boring to Harry. While almost everybody else was talking about who would enter the tournament, Harry was complaining to his girlfriend about the fact that normally twenty-eight kids from Hogwarts participate in Quidditch while only one will get to participate in the stupid tournament. Hermione consoled him by snogging him senseless.

He and Hermione had witnessed Fred and George's pathetically dim-witted attempt at putting their names in the Goblet of Fire the next morning, which resulted in them growing huge white beards to rival Dumbledore. They also watched everyone from Durmstrang and Beauxbatons enter their names, while several seventh years from Hogwarts did the same.

Ron was sitting with Harry and Hermione during the Halloween Feast when he said with a stupid grin on his face, "Imagine winning that tournament. All the glory you'd get, along with the fame, money, and, of course, female admirers. Wouldn't it be great?"

Harry looked at Ron like he'd sprouted an extra arm. "Maybe for you, but I wouldn't want to die for a plastic trophy, even if I could enter. Secondly, I'm already too famous, have plenty of money, and I've got the only female admirer that matters." He put his arm around Hermione as he said the last part of his statement." She responded by blushing and giving him a kiss on the cheek.

Ron shook his head. "Suit yourself, mate."

Before Harry could respond, Dumbledore interrupted them by making an announcement. "Well, the goblet is almost ready to make its decision. I estimate that it requires one more minute."

He instructed the champions where to go when their names were called, and the goblet's blue flames turned red. A piece of parchment was thrown from the fire, which the headmaster caught. He read, "The champion for Durmstrang will be Viktor Krum."

"No surprises there!" commented Ron as the applause began. Krum walked to the champions' waiting area.

The Goblet of Fire released another name, and Albus announced, "The champion for Beauxbatons is Fleur Delacour."

Ron and Neville (who was sitting near them with Ginny), along with several guys from all over the Great Hall, started whistling as she got up and walked, effectively covering up the disappointment among the other French students. Hermione was pleased that Harry wasn't among Fleur's admirers.

Upon catching yet another piece of parchment, Dumbledore announced, "And the champion for Hogwarts is…Cedric Diggory!"

When the Hogwarts champion had left the room, Albus began talking about showing support for your champion until the goblet's fire turned red yet again. When another parchment was ejected, Dumbledore reflexively caught it. When he read it, his face paled. "Harry Potter."

Both Hagrid and Sirius muttered, "Impossible!" from the head table.

"No," whispered Harry as every eye turned on him. He saw some looks of admiration, but mostly contempt.

He turned to Hermione, who gave him a look of sympathy as she said, "Go on."

"Harry Potter!" was this time shouted by the headmaster.

He stood up and made up his mind what to do. "No, sir," he yelled loudly.

"What do you mean, No?" asked Albus.

"I did not enter this tournament, and I refuse to participate! I don't know who put my name in the goblet, but they are no friend of mine!"

"But the Goblet of Fire is a legally binding contract!" shouted Ludo Bagman, who appeared excited about Harry competing.

"THAT'S IMPOSSIBLE!" shouted Harry from where he stood. "That would mean that anybody could enter anyone's name in the tournament and they'd be stuck! Professor Dumbledore, you said not to enter your name lightly! How can people do that when anybody with parchment and ink can enter anybody's name they want? How could that be a binding contract? At least in the muggle world, you have to sign your contracts!"