Chapter 36 - Coming and Going

"Another boring task we can't really see," complained Ginny, as she, Neville, Harry, Hermione, Ron, and Luna were sitting in the stands staring at walls of shrubbery that Cedric Diggory had just entered.

"This time, I came prepared," announced Hermione as she pulled a book out of her bag. "I have others, in case you'd like to read as well."

Ginny took a book, but that she was the only one. Luna had a copy of the Quibbler with her. None of the books were about Quidditch, so Ron wasn't interested. Neville had brought a book on plants with him. Harry, however, was too busy looking around the stands with a worried expression on his face to notice Viktor Krum entering the maze.

"Harry," asked Hermione softly, "Do you really think that Voldemort's going to attack here?" She indicated the dozens of aurors stationed around the area. Even the Minister of Magic, Patricus Vehosia, was confident enough that he was there (surrounded by aurors).

"No, and that's just it." He sighed. "Everyone thinks he's going to attack here, but he's not." He put a hand on his scar. "My scar is twinging a tiny bit."

Her eyes widened. "What? I thought that Occlumency…"

"It's not hurting. It probably would be, though, without it. I know he's doing something, and it obviously isn't here where most of the aurors are. Maybe I should…"

"No," she hissed emphatically. "Whatever advantage that dropping your shields could give you is not worth it."

"I hope you're right."

"I am," she stated emphatically, just before Fleur Delacour, firmly in third place, finally entered the maze. She finally got Harry to take an Advanced Charms book from her.

-ASM-

They sat there reading for about an hour until finally Cedric Diggory emerged the winner, with the Triwizard cup held high for all to see. His father was the first to congratulate him, hugging him tightly before his mother joined them. Harry's group, along with most of the audience, was on their feet cheering.

Just as the cheering was subsiding, Patricus Vehosia walked up in front of the crowd of happy faces to make a speech. He performed a Sonorus spell on his throat.

"Ladies and gentlemen, it is my pleasure to declare Cedric Diggory of Hogwarts to be the winner of the Triwizard Tournament." There was more cheering as the champion, still holding the cup, approached when the Minister motioned him up. Vehosia pulled a sack out of his pocket. "As you know, there is a prize for this event, and it is my honor and privilege to present it to this hardworking young man who has shown us…"

At that moment, the Minister stopped speaking and was looking above the crowd. Everyone followed his gaze to see that an eagle owl that seemed to have an injured wing was flying toward him, who had recognized it as a Ministry owl. It slowly and awkwardly made its way toward the recipient, who untied the letter after handing the sack of gold to Cedric. "Could the gamekeeper come take this owl and see what's wrong with it," Patricus asked as he unrolled the scroll.

As Hagrid made his way up, the Minister muttered a magically amplified, "Oh no." Hagrid silently took the owl and walked off. Patricus then looked at the concerned crowd and took a deep breath. "It is my unfortunate duty to inform you that 'You-Know-Who' has just taken control of the Ministry building, so we are, as of this moment, a government in exile."

Dumbledore, who'd been watching all of this silently, now walked up to Vehosia as he performed a Sonorus charm on himself. "Not quite exiled," he announced, "if the Minister will agree, I'd like to offer Hogwarts as the temporary headquarters of the Ministry of Magic."