Chapter 28 - The Wrong Side of the Fence

While Dumbledore was talking to Snape and Hagrid, Sirius walked into the hospital wing, looking ready to kill.

"Sirius," greeted Harry, "I was wondering where you were."

"Sorry, cub. While you were still having your vision, I left Hagrid's hut to try and find Karkaroff. I couldn't find him."

"I'll bet that traitor is half-way to Bulgaria by now!"

"I don't think so, Harry," countered Hermione, looking deep in thought. "I think we can assume that he put your name in the goblet, and therefore will die when the first task is over."

"So?"

"So, there's only one reason why he would have sent us to Voldemort. Remember your previous vision! He's been promised help against that curse."

"I doubt Voldemort's gonna help him now," said Sirius, "even if he somehow can."

"Not unless he manages to deliver…"

"My head on a platter."

"Well, yes," she agreed, taking her boyfriend's hand, "But we won't let that happen. Will we Sirius, I mean, Professor Black?"

"Of course not," he assured them, patting Harry on his back. "I hope Karkaroff does show up! I can give him what's coming to him." A dark look crossed Sirius' face. "It'll be better than the Dementors."

-ASM-

A week passed by with no trouble at the school. The Daily Prophet reported that defense classes would be offered to the general public for ten Sickles per lesson from the famed retired auror, Alaster Moody. After seeing his picture in the paper, Harry wondered how many people would actually attend classes taught by someone who looked like that. Then again, once they learned that Voldemort's back, he supposed most people would take all the help they could get. It also reported the murders of some muggle families by Death Eaters, but no one attacked Harry.

-ASM-

Harry was surprised to find a new teacher in Care of Magical Creatures class. A woman named Professor Grubbly-Plank was handling the lesson that day. The professor said she didn't know where Hagrid was or when he'd be back when Harry asked. She led the class to a tree on the edge of the forest where a unicorn was tethered.

"Oh they're beautiful," several of the girls proclaimed. Then the substitute teacher had the girls pet it while the boys stayed back.

-ASM-

After an enjoyable trip to Hogsmeade (wherein Harry bought his girlfriend a dozen roses) that Saturday, Harry and Hermione took a walk around the lake, holding hands and enjoying each other's company when Harry noticed some movement near the edge of the forest.

"Someone's over there!" said Harry, stepping in that direction, "sneaking around the forest. Could it be Karkaroff?"

"I don't think so," she answered, "judging by the size, I'd say it might be Hagrid."

"Let's take a closer look."

"We can't, Harry! It might be dangerous."

"You're right, Hermione. Go back into the castle. I'll be there in a little while."

"I meant both of us!"

"Shh!" Harry whispered, continuing in that direction. "That's not how Hagrid dresses. I think it's Madam Maxime. I wonder what she's up to."

"It probably has something to do with that stupid tournament."

"Maybe she's cheating."

Harry kept walking, so Hermione sighed and proclaimed, "I wish we at least had your cloak."