Chapter 38 - Soul Searching

"Congratulations!" said Sirius happily. "Now, we're going to have to name you three new Marauders. What do you think we should call them, Moony?"

Remus Lupin looked at each of the three Animagi before him, finally focusing on the robin that was still flying around the room. "Well, Padfoot, I'd suggest calling this one Redwing – Wings for short."

Ginny sang a few notes of birdsong in reply before changing back into a human. "I like it. What about Hermione?"

"Hm," said Padfoot, looking at the dark brown cat. "How about Miss Kitty?" The cat growled at him, showing her teeth. "All right, settle down. You don't like it. Then how 'bout Catwoman?" Hermione hissed angrily and scratched Sirius' leg as he chuckled. "Ouch! That hurt."

Ginny giggled, "How about Claws?"

Hermione purred and changed back. "All right. That's acceptable. I think Harry should be called Scar." Harry roared his disagreement, quite loudly. "Fine," she replied, petting his mane.

Sirius suggested, "Lions are supposed to be the kings of the jungle, so how about Kingly?" Harry shook his head.

"Too much like Kingsley," commented Remus. "How about Fangs?" Harry nodded his head and changed back.

Sirius cleared his throat and declared solemnly, "I hearby dub thee Redwing, Claws, and Fangs – the newest members of the distinguished Fellowship of Marauders," tapping each on the head with his wand as he said their new name.

Ron, Neville, and Luna, who'd been silently watching, applauded. Luna commented, "Now the wrackspurts won't be able to affect you."

-ASM-

It took a lot of hard work, using the open slots on their study schedules, but on Friday, July 28th, Harry managed to send two silent reducto's at once – one from each hand – effectively breaking the two practice dummies he'd been using. He wiped the sweat from his forehead while sighing with relief that he'd finally done it.

"Good job, Harry," complimented Hermione, sounding a bit less enthusiastic than Harry would've predicted. "You did it first." Now, Harry knew the problem.

"I'm sure you'll get it soon," he assured her with what he hoped was an encouraging smile. "You, too, Redwing."

Taking a deep breath, Ginny said, "I hope so."

Refocusing on the busted dummies, Harry thought, "Repairo!" and both of them fixed themselves.

He continued breaking and fixing them for the next hour, until Hermione announced, "I did it!"

Harry hugged her with a smile on his face. "I knew you could!" He then gave her a quick kiss. "Now, fix them," he ordered as he went back to his practice. Fifteen minutes later, Ginny managed it as well, although Harry noticed that her dummies weren't broken as badly as his and Hermione's. He wisely decided not to mention that, instead congratulating her for a job well done. 'Besides,' he thought, 'the power she can put into the spells will increase with practice. Not to mention that her magical core is a year in development behind mine simply because of her age. She's much more powerful than I was last year.'

-ASM-

Dumbledore was very pleased with their progress on his visit the next day. "I can honestly say that I've never seen anyone your ages with as much magical ability as you three. Miss Weasley, you are the youngest Animagi I have ever heard of. Miss Granger, you are the most formidable witch under forty that I've ever known, both in intellect and magical skills. Mr. Potter, the progress you've made this past year is phenomenal. I believe that you are nearly ready to fulfill your destiny." For a moment, Dumbledore seemed sad, but quickly smiled with a twinkle in his eye. "I would like to completely test your dueling ability, Harry. At ten o'clock sharp tomorrow morning, I'd like to duel you with no limits except to not use unforgivables."