Chapter 32 - A Christmas to Remember

Several students and staff members at Hogwarts subscribed to the Howler, and it was soon very common to see students all over the school reading it and discussing the latest news. Harry and Hermione were continuing all their training. Ginny was with them for extra studies (Animagus, Legilimency, wordless-wandless, etc.) and dueling. Neville was with them for karate and dueling. Ron (who'd apologized to Harry about his reaction to Harry's refusal to participate in the tournament while Harry was in the hospital wing after being attacked by dragons) was with them for dueling and the Saturday defensive flying lessons. Sirius would help them with dueling and Animagus training. No one knew about Harry and Hermione's Pensieve dance lessons.

The holidays were approaching fast, and the Yule Ball with them. Neville was going to the ball with Ginny, but Ron had yet to invite anyone to be his date (not counting Fleur Delacour, whom he asked in a humorous and embarrassing way, running for it before she even answered). Fred and George had warned their younger brother that he'd better get a move on before all the good ones were taken.

About a week before Christmas, the night they finished their exams, Harry was in the common room reading the book on chess strategies that Hermione had bought him for his birthday during the summer. He'd been so busy with training that he actually hadn't read it before recently. He'd found the strategy that Ron usually used in chapter three, and memorized how to counter it. Ron was currently playing Neville in a game that looked like it was about to end. Harry closed the book and walked up the stairs to put it away. When he got back down, he found Ron just finishing up Neville's defeat.

"Checkmate."

"At least it's over," he conceded.

"Hey Ron," said Harry, walking up. "It's been awhile since we've played a game."

"Sure has," agreed the redhead. "Want to play?"

"Sounds good. Listen, do you remember the chess set Hermione's parents gave me for my birthday?"

Ron grinned. "The one with all the pieces on broomsticks?"

"That's the one. You wanna use it?"

"Sure. Go get it."

-ASM-

Fifteen minutes later, Ron was very frustrated. A small crowd, including Fred, George, Ginny, Neville, and Hermione, had begun watching the game. Harry was very carefully following a strategy he'd memorized from his book while Ron's face was getting red. Harry was forcing himself not to chuckle as Ron did everything the book said he would. Hermione was beaming at her boyfriend with pride.

After thinking for five minutes, Ron made his move. Harry couldn't believe that Ron was still sticking with the same strategy as always, despite the fact that it wasn't working. He made a show of waiting a minute before making the move his strategy demanded.

"Check!" declared Ron excitedly as he took the piece Harry had purposely sacrificed.

Only when Harry smiled did Ron look back at the board and realize that he'd left his king open to attack. He had his head buried in his hands as Harry made his move and proudly proclaimed, "Checkmate."

The gathered crowd all cheered. They'd never seen Ron beaten at his own game! (The Weasleys had while he was learning chess, but it had been years). Hermione bent down and kissed Harry before congratulating him.

"How?" whispered Ron. "You've never…"

"Don't you remember the book on chess strategy that Hermione gave me last summer?"

"Oh…yeah," Ron replied sadly.

"Your strategy for playing, as well as the way to beat it, is in that book."