Prologue (Part 2): Soren

"You will never be anything, you bastard child." Steven yelled throwing a pint at his son's head. Ten year old Soren ducked and ran out the door. He walked on the cobble stone street and watched as other fathers held their sons close or taught them to fight. He came to lean on the side of the alley and observed from a distance in the dark. A young girl, who couldn't be more than five, tip toed up to a fruit stand. She carefully took an apple but the shop keeper grabbed her wrist.

"You little thief!" The gruff man said grabbing his sword from the table. Soren picked up the closest thing, a rock, and threw it at the man.

"Pick on someone your own size, you big, dumb lard." Soren ripped the girl out of the man's grasp and they weaved through the crowd, the man not far behind. The roads were cleared so the King and Queen could ride back to the castle, people gathered to watch. Soren pushed himself and the girl through the crowed and into the street. The King's horse reared up as Soren brought the girl behind his back.

"Thieves!" The man yelled coming at Soren with his fist raised until he noticed the King. He bowed but kept an eye on Soren. "Your highness, forgive me but this girl stole from me and the boy helped."

"Of course she stole, she is hungry. The kingdom lives in poverty, how do you expect us to live without food?" Soren glared at the man and the King hopped off his horse.

"An apple is one silver coin, here." William flipped the coin to the shop keeper then ushered him away. He knelt down with a smile. "You are smart for a nine year old, what is your name?"

"I am ten, Soren, sir." Soren stood tall as the girl trembled behind him.

"And your friend?" He asked and the girl squeaked.

"Thalia, your highness." She grabbed Soren's arm scared.

"And where are your parents?" The Queen asked coming off her horse, a boy Soren's age behind her.

"My mother died of disease, my father's a worthless drunk." Soren answered and the girl shook her head. "She has none." The King stood and the Queen grabbed his arm.

"We can not let them stay out here with no home." She smiled down at them and the girl giggled running at her. The Queen scooped Thalia into her arms while the King put his hand out to Soren. Soren took it and the King lifted him up onto his horse. The people cheered as Soren entered the castle gates with the King.

---------

"Come on, Jeremiah." Soren laughed at Prince Jeremiah as Soren kicked his legs out from under him. Jeremiah was like a brother to him, he had black hair like his mother but blue eyes like the King. Soren had dark blonde hair that was usually coated in mud or blood or both, his hair was getting long, almost past his ears, his eyes were a darker blue then when he was younger, he had five day stumble along his jaw, and scars ran along his back, torso, and there was a small one on his lips. Soren started training with the King at age ten, by eighteen he was part of the King's special army, and now at twenty seven he protected the man that was his step in father.

"You have a sick sense of humor." Jeremiah retorted excepting the hand from Soren.

"Are you two done hitting each other?" Thalia asked as she swayed in her purple dress with a book in her hand. At twenty two years of age Thalia looked like the Queen with black hair and grey eyes, she looked more royal than he.

"Don't you have a maid to annoy?" Jeremiah said putting his sword in it's holster.

"Don't you have some maiden to make swoon?" She rolled her eyes as she looked at Soren. Soren knew that their was a spark between Thalia and Jeremiah, even if they didn't know it. Soren pulled on his shirt and holstered his sword. Thalia walked to Soren and looked at the bruises he had received dealing with a brute in a bar.

"The King would like to see you." Thalia said as Soren turned to leave.

"Don't kill each other while I'm gone." Soren called back as he left to go see the King. He walked through halls and almost knocked but heard fighting.

"I will not allow assassins in my castle." William shouted from behind the door.

"I will not allow our son to go after men who could kill him. Soren is a good warrior but he is no match for Orion's men. We barely got him back the last time." Arabella shouted back with just as much force. "My friends knew Orion, trained to fight like his assassins."

"They have no loyalties to anyone except money." William slammed his fist on the table which even startled Soren.

"They have loyalties to me, and you. I trust them, trust me. Trust that I'd never put the kingdom or our family in danger." Arabella's voice softened and there was an audible sigh.

"One will stay in this palace." The King stated as Arabella hugged her husband.