Chapter 12: Iris

Iris hung by chains, the metal digging into her wrists. "Are you comfortable?" Tobias, the man who threatened Thalia, said sharpening a small blade. Blood slid down her arms and the chains would dig a little deeper every time Iris moved.

"Actually, yes. These chains are more comfortable then the bed at the palace." Tobias looked up at Iris bewildered by her sarcasm and boldness.

"Now I see why Soren likes you, your feisty as well as beautiful." Tobias chuckled walking over to her, running the blade across the middle of her dress skirt, slicing it so it fell to the stone floor. With a hard punch, Tobias broke three of Iris' ribs and successfully knocked the wind out of her.

"If you touch me again I will snap your neck." Iris warned not liking how his gaze made her skin crawl. Tobias laughed at her as his knife grazed her upper thigh slicing into the smooth skin. Iris almost let out a scream but bit her lip, forcing it down.

"What about snapping my neck?" Tobias teased slicing her upper arm and kissing her hip. With one full motion Iris swung her legs up and around Tobias' neck. With a twist of the hips Iris snapped Tobias' neck, his body hitting the stone floor with a thud.

"I should've thought this through." Iris sighed still hanging from the chains with no way to get down. There was a loud this outside the cell and Iris hung her head to seem like she was knocked out cold.

"Iris? What did you do?" Soren's voice made Iris' head snap up.

"What the hell are you doing here?" Then Theorin walked in a smile on his lips as he looked at Tobias. "Never mind, it makes sense now." Soren's eyes darkened angrily as he looked at the wounds on Iris' skin. "Not trying to be difficult but could someone get me down?" Soren grabbed the keys from Tobias' belt and unlocked the thick chains. Iris dropped slightly to the ground her knees feeling weak, she hated feeling weak. Soren settled his sword at his hip and picked Iris up bridal style.

"I'll clear a path then you bring her to the horses." Theorin disappeared through the dark, stone walls and Iris laid her head in the crook of Soren's neck.

"I'm guessing this is not a sanctioned rescue mission?" She chuckled but it hurt slightly and Soren kissed her forehead.

"I would never leave you, Iris." He whispered, Iris didn't respond didn't know how to. She felt her eyelids grow heavy and she let the warmth of Soren keep her safe.

---------------

Iris jolted awake, the soft blankets at the castle suffocating her. She winced in pain, her side hurting as she stood out of bed. She wore a long shirt and with one whiff she knew it was Soren's. Her body tingled as she tried to make her way to the bathroom but stumbled. "What are you doing?" Thalia asked holding her friend's arm so she didn't collapse on the floor.

"I was going to take a bath then get dressed." Iris replied as if it was obvious.

"Doctors orders, you are to stay in bed." Thalia said trying to wrestle her friend back to the soft bed.

"Thalia," Iris groaned trying to resist.

"Rest, Iris." Iris looked up at the door to see Soren's worried expression and it softened her stubborn temper. Iris gave in and let Thalia lead her to her bed.

"Oh but you listen to him." Thalia chuckled as Soren disappeared again.

-----------

"Are you going to leave once your able too?" Thalia asked as they walked through the garden.

"I don't know, Scrat belongs with Theorin and Trishelle now. I need to be in my own I guess, unless there is a reason for me to stay." Iris sighed as Thalia nodded soberly.

"Thalia may I speak to Iris alone?" Soren asked walking up to his sister and the woman he couldn't live without.

"Of course," Thalia excused herself leaving Iris alone with Soren.

"How are you feeling?" Soren asked taking Iris hand in his, leading her to the small pond in the garden.

"Better, I hope the King doesn't mind me staying longer." Iris sighed, hoping she could stay forever but knew it wouldn't happen. "And I hope Theorin didn't get you into too much trouble."

"I'd do it all over again to save you, Iris, my father knows that. My mother was more angry that I didn't tell anyone what we were up to. They both love you like a daughter." Soren said with a weak smile. "Iris, don't leave."

"What?" Iris thought she was imagining things.

"I want you to stay here, with me, Iris." Soren kissed her lips lightly stealing Iris' breath away. "I need you with me, I can't imagine you not being here with me. I love you, Iris."

"I love you, Soren"