Chapter 5: Iris

Iris watched as Scrat engulfed a large amount of food into his mouth, not even chewing. "How long have you been on the streets, Scrat?"

"Since I was four, me father died in war an' me mother was too busy with h'r men that she didn't much care for me. I stayed a few times in a shelter but I stole what I had to. Orion almost had me head one day but I gave him the slip." Scrat smiled and Iris was thankful Trishelle saved her from the streets, especially the streets in Orion's kingdom. Iris wondered if Theorin would take Scrat in like he did with her. At the very least, he'd have a home and food.

"So, this is Scrat." King William walked in with Soren by his side, he still didn't have a shirt on and Iris tried hiding the heat that surfaced to her cheeks.

"Yes, your highness. I would like to ask if he could stay until my aunt and uncle come to visit? Scrat will be my responsibility and I will deal with any indiscretions." Iris stood pleading her case as the King held his hand up to silence her.

"Scrat is under our protection, he will stay with us as long as needed. I'll even call Stanford to help with his education, as long as that's alright with Scrat." Scrat nodded, his mouth too full too answer. "Great, Trella, get this boy some more food!" William boomed with a laugh as he walked to sit with Scrat. Iris smiled as she stood, excusing herself to find Soren. She walked around for a while then spotted Soren talking to Jeremiah.

"Excuse me, can I borrow him?" She asked Jeremiah who nodded as she took Soren by the arm and led him to an abandoned corridor. "Did you tell the King about Orion's men?"

"Of course, was that all you wanted? You could've asked that in front of Jeremiah." Soren chuckled, he was still shirtless and Iris' curiosity bested her judgement. She stepped closer and lightly traced her finger over one of the longer scars on Soren's broad chest. His muscles twitched under her semi calloused fingers and he sucked in a breath.

"How'd you get these?" Iris whispered, Soren grasped her hand in his. Iris looked up and his eyes were glazed over with lust.

"War is a deadly place," he whispered as he walked her so her back hit the corridor wall. Iris sucked in a breath, desire pumping through her veins replacing the blood.

"Soren," she whispered as she felt his warm body flush against hers. He brought her hands over her head and brought his lips to her neck. Iris had never felt anything like this before and a moan escaped her lips. Their fingers laced together, Soren nipped at Iris' collar bone making another moan escape her.

"Iris," Soren moaned bringing his lips up to hers.

"Iris!" Thalia's voice reached both their ears as they leaped away from each other. Iris' breathing matched Soren's as they tried to catch their breaths.

"I... should go... find her." Iris stuttered not knowing what to do in this situation. Soren didn't respond as she swung open the corridor door and disappeared.

--------

"Alright, so my mother thinks having a ball will get me betrothed. I'm so done with this, but I'll let my mother feel like she's contributing. Okay, earth to Iris! Are you even listening?" Iris shook her head clearing her thoughts about Soren.

"Sorry, you said a ball? That could be a problem. I don't have a dress for that, and it could get people in undetected." Iris said mostly to herself but Thalia raised an eyebrow at her.

"I can help with the dress but what?" Thalia chuckled while Iris shrugged.

"Nothing, forget I said anything. When's the ball?" Iris asked trying to change the subject.

"The end of the month," Iris smiled. At least Theorin and Trishelle will be able to help cover the area. Iris' job, besides identify and terminate, is protect Thalia and even though it was her mission, Thalia was becoming a very good friend.