Chapter 7: Iris

Iris strapped her riding boots on as she snuck out of her room. The sun had barely reached the peaks of the trees, coating the sky in beautiful blues and pinks. She walked to the stable where she found the horse she had used when she first arrived at the castle. It was a beautiful black stallion, "Hello, remember me?" The horse hit his hooves on the ground in an answer as Iris ran her hand over the horses head. She kissed the horses head, saddled him, then through her leg over him. She kicked him lightly to get him going and as soon as she was clear enough, she took off into the woods.

--------

Iris stopped at a small river, both her and the horse drank from the fresh spring water. Iris scanned her surroundings, she loved the outdoors. It made her feel free, with little hesitation Iris pulled her belt and pants off, hanging them on a tree. She pulled her white shirt over her head and dove into the river, loving how the cold water stung her warm skin. Her head broke the surface and she smoothed her hair down her neck. The horse had started eating weeds around some trees as Iris swam in the water. She went back under and when she came back up there were two horses. Iris shrunk into the water, only her head showing above it. "Does the Queen know you borrowed her horse?" Soren's voice reached her ears as he came out from behind a tree.

"Does the Queen know her son hides behind trees and watches naked women swim?" Iris retorted earning a laugh from Soren, she smiled liking his laugh.

"Correction, I wasn't watching naked women. That was plural, you are the only naked woman I see. Plus, I was waiting for your head to break the surface." He knelt by the water side with a smile, he started a fire within her that only he could put out.

"So, are you going to sit there or are you going to join me? It's hot out and the water feels nice." Iris ran her hand over the surface of the water, trying to get him to join her.

"I don't think that is wise." He replied standing, there was something almost animalistic in his eyes. Iris sighed before grinning with a plan.

"Either come in or I'll stay under until you do." She retorted swimming father from the bank.

"Don't, Iris." Soren stated and she shrugged before holding her breath and going back under. She stayed like that for a while and she was starting to suffocate, her eyes closing. She felt arms wrap around her waist and suddenly she could breath again as her head broke the surface. She started to choke from lack of oxygen, "Are you serious? You could've drowned." Soren said his face mere inches away from hers.

"I did give you an option." Iris replied once she could breath again. She could feel his skin on hers and it made her feel hot all over. She wrapped her arms around his neck with a smile. "Thank you for saving me." She kissed his lips lightly and his grip tightened around her waist.

"This is a bad idea," he whispered kissing her lips again, more forcefully this time.

"Yes, maybe, but the bad ideas are always the fun ones." She wrapped her legs around his waist, as they continued to kiss each other. She knew somewhere in the back of her mind this was a bad idea but she didn't care in this moment. She was never one to act like this but Soren made her do things she had never done before. "Soren," Iris moaned running her fingers through his hair as he bit at her collar bone then kissed behind her ear. Iris knew where this could lead but her mind was fogged with the desire that had exploded in her. Soren stopped abruptly and pushed away from her, Iris missed his warmth and was very confused.

"I think I should head back." He stated dryly trying to swallow the desire that clogged his throat. Soren lifted himself out of the water, he still wore his black pants. He grabbed his sword and shirt, lifted himself onto his horse, and rode towards the castle. Iris smacked the water in frustration, one way or another she'd have him. She wanted him, even if it was a bad idea.

--------

"A letter for you, mi lady." A servant said handing Iris a folded up piece of paper. She nodded, the maid left, and Iris began to walk to her room.

"What are you wearing?" Iris turned to Thalia who raised a questionable brow at her.

"I went for a ride," Iris stated as Thalia stepped closer, bringing a wet curly strand of hair onto her palm.

"Did you fall into a lake?" Thalia chuckled as Iris shook her head.

"There was a lovely stream, I couldn't resist." Iris admitted as a blush flowed to her cheeks remembering what happened with Soren.

"Well, next time make sure someone knows where you go. There were some of Orion's men in town this morning, reeked havoc on a poor shop keeper." Thalia shook her head as Iris frowned. Soren was now becoming a distraction, a delicious distraction at that. Iris excused herself and locked herself in her room, pulling the note out from behind her back. She flipped it open and dropped it to the floor with a gasp. Written on the note was: Watch yourself, or those you love will die. The worst part was that it was written in blood, and from the smell it wasn't human. Iris picked up the parchment and slammed it into a drawer, she'd worry about it later. Now, she had to get changed and find Thalia. She'd show the note to Theorin once he got here, she was definitely not telling the King or Soren. He stomach clenched at the fact but she shook it off and stripped out of her riding clothes needing a warm bath before finding Thalia.