Chapter 4: Soren

Soren's blade collided with Jeremiah's as they practiced in the court yard by the garden. "Why is it you and Thalia are so blind?" Soren asked as the prince spun to try and catch Soren off guard.

"I have no idea what you're referring to." Jeremiah exclaimed as Soren glared at his friend.

"I'm referring to the fact that every time you two think no one is looking you look at each other like the most valuable thing on the planet. I'm referring to when you guys insult each other, know that it hurts, but you do it for appearances." Soren flung the prince's sword out of his hand and into the air before catching it.

"It's none of your concern," Jeremiah stated dryly as footsteps could be heard.

"But, mi lady, your beauty competes with the moon." The squeaky voice of Prince Arthur of Echendore sounded off the cobble stone.

"You're too kind, your highness, but I'll have to decline, again." Thalia sounded annoyed and Jeremiah grew angry.

"You'd think they'd learn." He growled while he and Soren walked closer.

"Can I help you with something, sir?" Iris' voice floated to Soren's ears as she stepped in between Thalia and Arthur. Thalia sighed in relief and Arthur gazed at Iris with lust. Soren wanted to hit the young prince as he and Jeremiah came to stand with the girls.

"I was just asking Princess Thalia a question but I don't believe we've met." The prince bowed and Soren smiled as Iris rolled her eyes.

"No, we haven't." Iris crossed her arms over her chest. The prince straightened, confusion clear on his mouse like face.

"What brings you to StoneHaven, Prince Arthur?" Jeremiah asked trying to sound casual.

"Our father is here to talk about forming an alliance with your father." Arthur said, his eyes never leaving Iris' body. Iris clenched her jaw and hands forming fists, Soren could see that Iris wanted to hit the prince.

"Thalia, why don't you show Lady Abernathy the Rose garden?" Soren suggested and they all tilted their heads at him. Iris wasn't Lady Abernathy but he wasn't going to let Arthur know Iris' real name. Then something dawned on Iris as she smiled and turned to Thalia.

"Yes, I would love to see the Rose garden." Thalia's mouthed formed an 'o' then she smiled linking arms with Iris. They walked off as Soren and Jeremiah stepped in front of Arthur so he couldn't follow.

"Would you like to practice with us, Arthur?" Soren asked knowing the Princes of Echendore didn't like him because he had no drop of noble, let alone royal, blood.

"I wouldn't draw swords with you unless it was to end you, peasant bastard." Arthur sneered and Jeremiah stepped to hit the prince but Soren stopped him. Arthur turned and walked back into the castle.

"Why won't you let me hurt him? Why don't you prove that you're just as much of a prince as me and more than him?" Jeremiah sighed as they walked back to the court yard to finish their training.

"Because, I will not waste my time to prove something that most people already know. As long as my family and my kingdom trust me, I don't mind what Arthur and his brothers think of me." Soren wanted to add what Iris thought of him but stopped himself as they continued to train.

-------

"Soren, may I speak to you?" He turned to see Arthur walking towards him.

"Of course, what would you like to discuss?" Soren didn't want to talk to him but knew that he had to. He would be nice for his families sake, even if it hurt him.

"I would like to ask if you know what Thalia liked. Flowers or a candle lit dinner?" Arthur poured himself a glass of brandy as Soren rolled his eyes.

"Has it ever occurred to you that my sister doesn't want you? She's made it clear, with the many refusals to your proposals." Soren stated standing from his seat.

"All women play hard to get, she'll come around. They always do, am I right?" Arthur laughed and Soren had the urge to punch him.

"How about you just listen to when a woman says no? And if you continue to harass my sister, things will not end well for you or your brothers." Soren warned as he walked towards the door.

"How dare you threaten me, street rat. If it wasn't for the King or Queen you'd be on the streets, dead, or rotting in a jail cell. The King was foolish to bring you into his family, no wonder Orion wants him dead." Before Arthur could blink, he was up against the wall with Soren's blade to his throat.

"Don't ever talk down about my King. Watch your mouth, Arthur, or next time I'll cut out your tongue so you can't speak ill of him again." Soren let go as the prince fell to the floor, choking for air. Soren stormed out of the castle and walked towards the Rose garden, he needed air. Soren stopped by a small pond and paced, running a hand through his unruly hair.

"What's troubling you?" Soren turned to see Iris leaning against an oak tree. She smiled at him and his anger slowly faded into nothing.

"Some people just don't know how to keep their mouths shut." Soren sighed, Iris chuckled at him and walked closer.

"I understand, it's frustrating. If you want to talk, I'm always here to listen." She knelt by the water and ran her hand over it, ripples flowing around her hand. Her blue dress brought attention to her chestnut curls, Soren wanted to stare at her all day. He knelt beside her, Iris smelled of roses and it was intoxicating to Soren.

"How do you know the Queen?" Soren asked and Iris sighed, tucking a strand of loose hair behind her ear.

"I don't really know the Queen. My mentor, Theorin, and Trishelle know the Queen. I'm not sure how but they have taught me how good King William is. I am loyal to him and Queen Arabella, not all assassins have to be evil." She sighed and Soren had the urge to touch her. He grasped her chin in between his fingers and lifted her gaze to his.

"I never said they did," he whispered running a finger over her pink tinted lips. Soren wanted to kiss her and he could see she wanted to kiss him too. Their lips were inches apart when a twig snapped in the woods, extinguishing the heat between the two. Iris snuck a knife out from under her dress as Soren drew his sword, they both stood and walked carefully towards the sound. As they walked closer a small child fell from a tree onto his back in front of Iris. He was maybe twelve and he had a cut on his forehead, he saw Iris and tried to stand but couldn't.

"Stay still, you've broken your leg. Why were you in the tree?" Iris asked softly kneeling down, snapping a twig to create a splint. "I need something to tie this around his leg." Soren lifted his shirt over his head and ripped into strips.

"I was hiding from Orion's men, they can't handle a joke." The boy groaned as Iris put the splints on either side if his leg. Iris tried not to stare at Soren as he handed her the strips of his clothes as she wrapped it around the boy's leg. She noticed how broad his shoulders were, how his body was pure muscle, and she also noticed many scars that made him seem even more dangerous and tempting.

"What's your name?" Soren asked as he helped the boy up from the ground.

"Jonathan but they call me Scrat." Soren didn't understand why but Iris smiled.

"Scrat? I'm guessing you're good with your hands." The boy smiled up at Iris in pride. Soren let the boy lean on him as they walked towards the castle grounds. "What was the joke you played on Orion's men?"

"They were sleeping in a whore's room and I poured their rum on them. It was funny, well at least to me." Iris laughed at the image she must have conjured up in her mind, the tale made Soren chuckle as well. Iris stepped closer to Soren and goosebumps formed over his skin.

"Orion's men shouldn't be this close." Iris said soberly as Thalia and the rose garden came into view.

"Agreed, I'll talk to the King. You get the boy settled in a room with food." Iris nodded and took Scrat by the hand leading him to Thalia. Soren missed her warmth already and cursed at the missed chance of feeling her lips against his.