Chapter 15: Home Sweet... Home?

A/N: Hello! I'm back! I changed the title of the previous chapter and here's a new chapter: a deeper dive into the dynamics between wwx and the Jiang sect. Extreme trigger warning ahead. Detailed descriptions of physical assault and victim's nonchalance. Trigger areas have been marked at the beginning and end with "||||||||||||||||". Happy reading! Maybe keep some tissues handy? 🥲 ~ worldlesswanderer

——————————

"Shufu." Lan Wangji spoke quietly, a word speaking volumes as his brother and uncle turned towards him. "Wangji wishes for permission to court Wei Ying."

In the silence that followed with Lan Qiren's face indicating a possible future qi-deviation and Lan Xichen sporting a shocked and impressed look, one could hear a pin drop.

-----------------

Wei Wuxian made no stops as he entered the skies above the market district in Yunmeng. Flying so smoothly that not a single soul noticed the shifting of air overhead, Wei Wuxian made his way to the Jiang household in Lotus Pier.

Things were no longer as he remembered. The Lotus Pier marketplace was once occupied by fires and apprehensive peolple during wartime. Post-war, he remembered frequenting the hotel to the right of the center street. Things had been different as he was submerged in the pleasurable warmth of liquor and protective shade of the ghost jiejies. The Lotus Pier of his memories had long lost its warmth and liveliness, the very reason behind which he called his home.

Yet, looking at Lotus Pier now, a robust, colorful trade city, Wei Wuxian found himself travelling down the same roads his past self would have, never once setting foot on the ground relishing in the freedom of flight that his Suibian gave. The very freedom he had lost upon relinquishing his rights to the sword he had once called his. The very freedom that had become a curse in his memories. Wei Wuxian tumbled down into an alley as memories of falling off another sword, of falling to his doom in another life arrested his mind.

Wei Wuxian moaned in misery, clutching his head against the grime-filled brick walls as he struggled to force down unwelcome moments of his life.

When vision came back into Wei Wuxian's eyes, he saw himself in the reflection of a broken mirror lying on the ground against the opposite wall. A red glare flashed across the glass shards, drawing his attention to his left where Suibian lay. Wei Wuxian forced himself to crouch down and pick up the sword.

As soon as he touched it, Suibian sent warm pulses of qi through his veins. Master. Sorry. It said. Warmth of the innocent touch of his sword leaked through his veins into his heart. The sword that he had betrayed. The sword that had not gone through the same as it had in the timeline he came from. Yet, he was sure that somehow Suibian knew of its master's plight. The synchronization between the souls of the master and the sword was stronger than before, Suibian knew what Wei Wuxian was going through. And it comforted him.

"Augh-" Wei Wuxian cupped his hand across his mouth, muffling the miserable cry that left his lips.

What had he done to deserve such loyalty? How was he supposed to face himself, much less his sword? For even after betraying his loyal friend, it did not hold it against him.

Wei Wuxian paused to collect his emotions. A sick feeling of fear and regret sloshed in the pit of his stomach. 'After so many years without the strict ordering of Madam Yu, I am no longer able to compose myself as fast. I must do better... Madam Yu should never know that this is not the same Wei Wuxian who gallivanted around Lotus Pier and teased his shidis. That I am not the same Wei Wuxian who could brush off the angry words of Jiang Cheng for the better. But I'll pretend to be,' Wei Wuxian smiled softly to himself, 'I will continue to smile so that Shijie won't cry and Lan Zhan won't be hurt again.'