You Are My Angel

1729.
A long time ago, it is said, a monster came here...

“And mama slayed the monster!”

“Lakotaaaa!”

“Shut up, you moron!”

“No, YOU both shut up!”

Even after that long and unsuccessful hunt, her children still bring a smile to Naru’s face.

She shakes her head, attempting to cover her youngest son with his furs for the seventh time in the last two minutes. She turns on her own fur bed, her two eldest children’s beds flanking her and her youngest in front of them, and holds her long hair back as she leans over to blow out all the candles, save for one. She leaves the smallest one lit in its little metal cage (one of the many odd but useful objects she’s stolen from her land’s invaders over the years), because her youngest; Lakota is barely out of his babe years and still a little afraid of the dark.

She can’t say she blames him none. It’s her own fault for telling them the stories she tells them.

At first, when her eldest son and child; Taabe (named after her brother, of course) was born, she’d still had the memories fresh in her mind, the battle with the mupitz was still always on her mind. It had only been three years after that she’d had her son, and finally, she both had something else to finally think about, to finally take up her every waking thought, and she had someone she could tell her real story to. It didn’t matter that he was a babe and didn’t understand a word she told him, in fact, it helped her work through her troubled mind.

Her people had bowed to her as their leader, all this time in thinking she had simply faced the monster and won.

But in truth, she doesn’t think of when he–it tried to kill her. All she ever thinks about, ever fucking dreams about is those few seconds the beast fell to its knees in front of her before removing its skull mask and burying its hideous face between her thighs.

She wishes she could say she pushed the beast away the instant it touched her so intimately, but...

Naru blinks such inappropriate thoughts away in front of her children, thankful for the dimness of their tent when she turns to face them. She smiles cheekily at the three of them, arching a brow in particular at Lakota when she asks, “Shall I start again?”

Nita (her only daughter and second eldest, and named after the bear that so courageously went up against the mupitz and lost) slaps a hand over Lakota’s mouth before he can speak again. She sends her brother a small warning glare before smiling brightly up at her mother and nodding eagerly as she says, “Yes, please, mama.”

“Yes, mama.” Taabe mumbles politely, wearing his usual shy little smile.

Naru chuckles, draws her knees up to her chest and wraps her arms loosely around her legs as she begins the tale she’s told them so many times and that they still love so much, “A long time ago, it is said, a monster came here... The monster was twice as tall as any man, and ten times as strong, with small yellow eyes that pierced the darkness, long hair with strands thicker than any arrow, and a mouth that opened up like a crab on the hunt.”

Nita shivers, grinning sheepishly when her mother and siblings stare at her. “The mouth part always gets me.”

Taabe rolls his eyes in good nature, while Lakota scoffs at his big sister before yelping excitedly out, “What’re you talking about, Nita? He is the coolest thing I have ever seen! Look!”

Naru blinks her surprise when Lakota dives under his blankets and pulls out the sketch that she remembers very specifically balling up and stashing under the small vegetable patch in their little garden. Her mouth falls open with her shock, her cheeks heating up, because she remembers just what she was thinking about when she drew that.