To Bring Me Love

Naru remembers the gentle sway of him walking through the forest that began lulling her to sleep, but she doesn’t remember ever actually falling asleep.

She’s groggy for a moment, but quickly snaps her eyes open when she remembers what happened.

She’s lying on her back, the air is still and cold, but there are furs (of which she recognises from no creature she’s ever seen) that keep her warmth close to her and the ground beneath her is heating her back. She blinks a few times, staring up at the dull glowing ceiling, eyes slowly widening as her sleep leaves her fully and she’s left with an expression of complete wonder and amazement.

This place, whatever it is, she has never seen anything like it, could never have even imagined such a place in all her life.

There is silence all around, save for the low humming of...of this whole place. She can feel it softly vibrating under her, as if alive. She sits up at that thought, still highly amazed but also slightly wary.

This place looks like it’s carved from stone and melted against the most peculiar metals. The walls seem to shimmer, both taking in and reflecting the low light and making the air twinkle around her. The archways and doors and ceilings, all high, like the Aztec temples she’s stumbled across in her travels, only, so much more impressively made. Everything is shiny and almost too clean. The air smells of nothing, another thing she marvels at.

She glances around, takes in all of the details of...this must be mupitz’s lair, it must be how he travelled the stars.

This...thing, it must be the omen of the Thunderbird she thought she saw all those years ago when he first came here.

That alone, amazes her to her core as she pushes the furs from her and slowly pushes herself up onto her feet. She gasps automatically when suddenly remembering her wound, but pauses when she registers no pain at all, not even any tightness in her skin. Her eyes dart down to see the large blood stain over her jacket. The tearing from the blade is of course still there, too, but when she smooths her hands over her stomach, she finds no trace of her wound, not even a scar.

Naru breaks out into a grin as she runs her fingers over her miraculously healed flesh.

And then, she begins to feel deeply grateful and...something else she can’t quite explain (but has been trying to for the last 10 years.)

She chuckles breathily, just taking a moment to process all of these new and wonderful things she’s discovering, while in the back of her mind, she’s trying not to read to much into the actions of mupitz.

She still doesn’t actually know why he’s here. He says he isn’t here to hurt her (again), but–

“Owww-ahhh...”

Naru swirls around, startling and glaring slightly at him still being so annoyingly stealthy for such a large being. Though, her glare quickly washes away as she takes in his face without the bone mask. He has no armour or weaponry attached to him either (she notes the difference in the amount of both between him and the other smaller three and is quietly impressed with how little mupitz needs to battle and kill. She’d always aspired to be a warrior of that elite status.)

Naru blinks, tears her lingering gaze from his bulking frame. She looks up at his face, blinks again when she registers, then, can’t help cracking a small but amused smirk. She sees his red-ringed yellow eyes drift down to her middle. She drops her eyes briefly to her healed wound before smiling gratefully back at him. She says her thanks again, and when he just continues to stare at her, Naru rolls her eyes (slightly playfully) before turning to take a proper look around.

Of course, he continues to watch her. She can feel his eyes on her, once a feeling that made her skin crawl, now a feeling that’s oddly calming to her. Just as he seems to be this time around. He is different, that’s for sure, but it is still him.