Neutralise

1719.
Firing those two more arrows only makes the bear charge faster with more determination. In a split second, Naru is forced to toss her bow and her next arrow aside, losing them to the stream as she turns sharply on her heels runs as fast as she can through the knee-deep waters.

Thankfully, there is a beaver damn just large enough for her to cram herself into, and even more thankfully just thick enough for her to grab a few moments of safety. But as the bear snarls and swipes and bites into the damn, wood and splinters fly everywhere, and she knows she has mere seconds more before the bear reaches her.

Only...it suddenly stops.

Naru takes a second to catch her breath before she’s sucking it sharply back in at the familiar sound of clicking. She crawls forward, peeking out through the battered damn.

She sees the bear stomping away from her, sees it stop to sniff the air and listens to its irritated growling. It backs up a few paces, and when Naru follows it’s line of sight, she can see a large hulking figure shimmer in and out of the sunlight. Her eyes widen in awe as the bear charges at the shimmer, and the shimmer manages to match the bear’s strength as the two begin to wrestle.

She edges closer, eyes never leaving the odd and rather fascinating battle.

Whatever is fighting the bear, she can hear it shriek in both pain and anger, can even see the orange shimmers that flood over its form whenever the bear gets in a swipe or a bite. She watches the orange shimmer get shoved back and when it suddenly shoves the bear back and the bear goes flying towards her, almost crushing the damn, she forces down a gasp to not be heard and scrambles back as far as possible.

The bear groans, but as it hauls itself back up onto its feet, the angry snarl dies halfway up its throat as it turns it attention towards her, its huge nose clearly scenting her and remembering she’s still there.

Naru’s eyes widen, but before she can do anything, the orange shimmer lets out its own snarl as it rushes at the bear and barges the creature into the shallower parts of the river. Naru almost pisses herself a little bit in shock when the shimmer stops in front of her and looms over her. It only happens for a second, the creature then turning sharply back to the bear as it rises to its feet and turns with another even angrier roar.

Her eyes are wide in awe again, this time in awe yet again when the bear charges and lunges on its two hind legs, and the shimmer manages to shove the bear backwards. It struggles a tiny bit, but quickly shoves the bear back again. And then, for whatever reason, her heart skips in horror when the bear successfully tackles with the shimmer.

The bear is on top now, its teeth sunken into the shimmer when it gives a low shriek. Her heart thuds heavily and horribly as she watches the bear viciously shaking its new prey, angry snarls and huffs coming from the she bear as the shimmer silently tries to shake free.

The bear becomes so bloodthirsty and enraged, that for a few moments, after she’s managed to wrestle this invisible foe to the ground, she stands up on her hind legs and lets out a mighty roar.

And Naru’s eyes are just glued to the trail of green blood dripping from the bear’s jaws. She sucks in another gasp when she sees the orange shimmering even more over the creature as it slowly rises from the water. Her eyes are back on the shimmer then as the bear charges angrily again, and this time, the creature clearly lifts a huge fist and gives the bear one solid punch to her face.

She hears the bear let out a pitiful whine just as she hears the loud sound of bone cracking. The bear comes flying towards her, its head landing with a limp thud, just inches from her, eyes already rolled back in death.

Naru throws herself as far back as possible as the damn now bursts open all around her. She doesn’t have time to breathe this time as she then watches the bear’s head being slowly dragged away from her. She hears the loud clicking, loud thrilling, then, loud shrieking of the shimmer as it tugs the bear up into its arms and lifts the huge corpse above its head.