Chapter 2

LISA

Seoul August 2022

Shots. Screams. Blood.

 A stabbing pain runs through my arm. Lili! My vision blurs. I feel liquid on my cheek. People scream. They cry and plead. More shots are fired. Is that blood? What's going on here? Have I died? 

My ears feel so numb. Small hands clutch my stomach. Why is the ground wet? Why does my arm hurt so much? Why don't I see anything? Am I crying? I do not have power. I cannot move. I hear a loud sob. 

"Do something!" One person shouts. My lips are numb. 

"Lalisa?" This calming voice soothes me. What is she doing here? 

I feel someone caressing my cheeks. 

"You have to stay awake, Lalisa." I shake my head. 

"I can't. I'm tired." I cry. 

"Lalisa, she needs you." I furrow my eyebrows. 

"Who needs me?" 

"You have to stay awake, Lalisa."

"Where am I? Is it you?" I murmur. I feel her wiping away my tears. 

"Is it you?" I repeat. No answer. 

"Where are you, Lalisa?" I don't know it. 

Where am I? What am I doing here? Why is she here? Is she okay? Did she come to protect me? Or did she come to save me? Am I dreaming? Is she real? Am I real? Am I alive?

"The bullet didn't hit you." Which bullet? What is she talking? I look down at my right arm. A deep cut adorns my skin. I start shaking. 

"What is that?" I sob. 

"You're fine, Lalisa." I squirm. Fear floods my body. Why do I feel so trapped? 

"Everything's fine with you. It's nothing big." 

"Then why does it look so big and ugly? I'm scared." She nods and strokes my cheek. 

"I'll protect you." I shake my head. 

She's lying! She'll just leave me again. 

"She needs you, Lalisa." 

"What about me? Don't I need anyone? Do I always have to do everything alone? That's not fair. I can't." I shake my head, whimpering. 

"You can do it. You're strong, Lalisa." I am weak and powerless. I have no strength. 

"I'm tired." Why can't I see her face? 

"You're not tired. You're awake, Lalisa." How? 

"But then why am I sleepy?" Her caresses seduce me to sleep. I feel a stabbing pain on my upper arm. 

"Lalisa!" 

What is happening here? Where am I? Is it you? What am I doing here? Why can't I see her? All these questions repeat themselves constantly in my head. 

"She needs your help. She's just a child."

A child... a little girl? The girl with the green eyes... Lili? 

"Lalisa!" My head snaps to the side. 

"Lalisa!" 

"I'm fine." I mumble. My eyes find the counter. I crouch behind it. How did I end up here? My head is pounding.