Chapter 8

JENNIE

Seoul September 2022

"Jennie, wait a moment." I loosen my collar and turn around. 

Today is just the everyday routine. Theo and I are just on patrol, but despite that I'm overcome by tiredness. 

"I'm off work." I reply annoyed. A look at my watch reveals it that I still have enough time to get things done before I have to pick Lili up from school. 

The strange man smiles artificially at me. So it wasn't a request, nor a question. Somehow he looks familiar to me. I look at him briefly. Casual clothing, files in hand and gun attached to waistband. A commissioner. 

"It won't take long." I open my vest and turn back to my locker. I won't repeat myself again. 

Often the inspectors, lawyers or police officers prefer to talk to Theo. He offers to do this and saves me a lot of nerves. I can't look at these hypocritical faces for long without becoming aggressive. The right corner of my mouth turns up. Jay claims the others find me unpleasant and intimidating. A thing that interests me little, but amuses me a little bit. 

"No time." 

"It's about Lalisa." I pause. 

"About Lalisa Manoban, to be more precise." My hands ball into fists. My fingertips tingle and my whole body tenses. I feel the anger rising. What does he want from her? My eyes darken. 

"What's wrong with her?" I ask harshly and accidentally slam my locker door shut. 

"Take it easy, Jennie. I just want to ask you a few questions. Sit down." I lean against my locker and eye him suspiciously. 

"Why are you asking me questions? Sir-" I am interrupted. 

"Jay's case was referred to me for appropriate reasons." I click my tongue. Jay should have warned me. I look at him, gritting my teeth. Light brown hair, blue eyes and a malicious smile. Suddenly I feel the urge to break both of the man's legs in front of me. 

"I don't like being interrupted." I answer tartly. I spread my fingers because pressure is building up on my neck that I urgently need to release. 

"It will be noted." I lick my lips irritably and nod dismissively at him. 

"What was your name again?" I ask brusquely. 

"Commissioner Mark Lane." I furrow my eyebrows. 

"You look familiar." I say with suppressed confusion. 

"My father was the lead detective in your father's murder." Ah, there was something there. 

"All the important information is there." I snap, pointing to his file. Mark grins provocatively. I wonder what his grin would look like if his front teeth would be missing. The corner of my mouth twitches happily at the idea. 

"I am aware of that." Then why is he wasting my time? 

"During my research I came across an interesting piece of information." He opens the slim file and blinks in amusement. 

"Lalisa Manoban was born in Busan - like you, attended the Kyodong  primary school - like you, and was then transferred to Korea International School - like you." He purses his lips and looks back at me. 

"Afterwards I gave myself permission to poke around a bit." I fold my arms and look into his eyes. 

"What have you found, Mr. Commissioner?" I press out. I don't like this situation. Mark gives me an irritated and yet somewhat amused look. Then he runs his index finger very provocatively over his file.