Chapter 3

LISA

Seoul August 2022

"I won't speak." Annoyed, the policeman puts his hand on his temple.

I'm in the police station. This room is bare and lifeless. The chair I'm sitting on is more than just uncomfortable. And even in August it's freezing cold in here. Sighing, I rub my hands warmly. A week has passed.

After staring silently as Jennie disappeared with her daughter, I called my parents. They immediately picked me up and comforted me. So much happened and it took me a long time to digest the events. People died. I rub my arms uncomfortably. I cried for dead souls for nights. Souls I didn't even know and now I'm sitting here talking about them?

It feels wrong to bring back these cruel memories, then be treated with indifference. I've only been back since yesterday. My mother had insisted that I stay longer, but I didn't want to.

"I just want to remind you that you agreed to cooperate a few minutes ago." I roll my eyes.

"I also asked for a glass of water. But you don't get everything you want."

"That's true but..." The policeman throws his pen on the table. I sigh, gritting my teeth. A little patience wouldn't hurt him...

"As long as it's Officer Kim I'm talking to." I reply with twitching eyelids.

"That's really childish." I hit the table.

"Childish? Did you pull those people out of a burning bakery? Did you have to see people being shot? Where were you anyway? Are you trying to tell me that no one in the area heard the shots? Seriously?" Fiery breath leaves my lips. My loud voice still echoes in the room and the police officer remains silent.

"You were way too late! If I hadn't found a solution, there would be over a dozen burned corpses lying on the ground. Plus that one child. So don't tell me what is and isn't childish. Do your job right for once and send Kim to me, damn it." My hands are shaking with anger. It's quiet for a few seconds.

It's childish that I don't laugh. He stands up with a sigh.

"As you wish." I nod tiredly. I just want some peace and quiet. The police officer leaves the room and for the next half hour I am alone, trapped in an endless loop of gunfire and black smoke. 

The door opens. I stare at the table. I don't even dare to look up. Is this the time? Is everything changing now? I wonder how she's doing. How he's doing. How has she changed? 

That day, I didn't get a chance to really look at her. I should look for her. I shake my head imperceptibly. Is she as surprised watching me as I am? My fingertips tingle. 

Why am I so excited? It's probably not her. 

I take a deep breath. What I do, it is not right. It's like my heart is back in the body of naive sixteen-year-old Lalisa. Her presence shouldn't upset me so much and yet I don't dare lay my eyes on her. 

"Lalisa." Disappointment spreads through me and I bite my lip angrily. I look into pitch-black eyes. 

"Jay." I greet him, clearing my throat. The tall man smiles gently at me. 

Jay Kim. He is a commissioner, now 29 years old and single. He is also Jennie's older brother. His dark brown hair is slicked back and his tight black t-shirt is stretched over his biceps. 

"You're not who I expected." I admit. Jay's eyes sparkle with slight amusement. 

"My sister is busy." I suppress a snort.