Chapter Three

Chapter Three

As they got closer to the city, buildings started appearing. At first, they were small camps, just tents around a campfire, then shoddily built houses, then finally they found themselves on roads made of cobblestone, with larger buildings lining the streets. It was like walking through a hellish version of Las Vegas. How that was possible, he didn't know.

More ugly creatures, which Percy realized were demons, milled about the streets. Some were just laying on the streets, looking like the homeless people back in New York. He saw one in an alley, snorting, was that blood? The demon took out a vial of red liquid, that looked suspiciously like blood, poured it on the ground in a line, before snorting it like it was cocaine. It's head shot back like someone had fired a shotgun at its face.

Moving past that, many of the demons looked at Nico and Percy with distasteful glares. Percy could tell what they were saying, they didn't belong here. Percy glared at one back, utilizing the lessons Lupa had taught him back at the wolf house oh so long ago. The demon backed up, as did some of the demons around it.

Percy trudged forward, putting his hands in his pocket. His right hand wrapped around Riptide. Nico narrowed his eyes at Percy as he followed behind the Son of Poseidon. He caught up to him and said, "Are you alright, man?"

"I'm fine." Percy said, not looking back.

"And I'm a son of Apollo. What's going on?"

"Nothing. Let's just focus on what we are here to do."

"Whatever you say." Nico said, deciding to talk to him later.

They came to a road that seemed to act as a border. In front of them was the castle. It was even more imposing up close. It was made of black stone with dull glowing orange veins, almost like lava. A bright orange glow came from the windows, like inside the castle was just a giant fire. They were facing a tall set of stairs, with an open doorway at the top, the same glow coming from it as well.

They started to walk up the stairs. Their shoes made clicking sounds against the stone. The stairs seemed to go on forever. A countless flight. They eventually made it to the top and were met with an unwelcome sight. The entrance to the castle almost seemed to resemble the open mouth of a monster. There was a large arch doorway with no doors. A portcullis was raised, the spikes on the bottom resembling sharp teeth.

A sinking feeling appeared in Percy's stomach as he crossed the threshold. The clacking of their shoes echoed off of the stone walls. They walked into a large courtyard. A path went straight ahead to the keep of the castle. On either side was blood red grass that looked soft as it waved due to a nonexistent wind. There were a couple of trees, looking diseased and sickly. The leaves were gone, much like the tree he had first seen when he entered Hell.

They followed the path and entered the keep. The castle was a grand building, reaching untold heights and widths. The inside was no less impressive. Off the bat, to both the right and left was a large staircase that went to the upper levels, disappearing around a corner. In front of them was the throne room. Well, throne hall was more appropriate.

A large hall that was mostly empty. There was a throne on the other end, sitting in front of a large fireplace that made the throne look like a chair from a dollhouse. There were a couple of banners hanging from the ceiling, a reverse pentagram in white on black fabric. Along both walls, near the ceiling, were balconies.

Percy felt a shudder go down his spine as he realized why the room was mostly empty. There was nothing to attract one's attention. No, instead, all of your focus was on the throne, or, rather, the King who sat upon it.