Chapter eight

As soon as Carlisle stepped out of his car he could smell her. The sweet coconut body wash mixed with coconut shampoo and conditioner. The lingering mint smell from her toothpaste and her vanilla perfume. She didn't smell like honey to him. No, she smelt like home.

When he opened the door of the garage her scent got stronger. He immediately heard laughter in the kitchen. Even though three other people were laughing he could only hear her laugh.

"Carlisle, how was work?" Alice asked as soon as he walked into the kitchen.

"It was good. Just the regular. Few patients have the flu. It's going around again," Carlisle said laying his bag on the table, "hello Ivy."

"Hello Carlisle," Ivy said blushing slightly.

"What did you make," Carlisle asked smelling the food that Ivy just ate.

"Jamaican chicken curry," Edward said.

"They didn't burn it right?" Carlisle asked jokingly.

"No. I made it," Esme said.

"With a bit of my help," Ivy said grinning, "But it was good."

"Carlisle we were just talking about how much Ivy loves history. Why don't you go show her your history room," Alice suggested.

"You have a history room?" Ivy asked excitedly.

"It's just a room with paintings of my personal history," Carlisle said shrugging it off.

"I still wanna see," Ivy replied walking around the counter and standing next to him, "Please?"

Carlisle's heart melted at the sight of her puppy dog eyes. He would do anything for her. He could sense the others smiling at the two and he knew his eyes were filled with adoration and love.

"Well I can't say no to that," Carlisle said holding out his hand, "if you would so kindly follow me."

Ivy giggled and put her hand in his, "I would be honored."

Carlisle led her upstairs and towards the end of the hallway. He opened a set of wooden doors and Ivy gasped at how many paintings there were. She looked around in awe while Carlisle stared at her.

"I knew you were old but damn," Ivy said looking around, "this is a lot of painting."

Carlisle laughed and shook his head, "It's not even the half of it."

Ivy started on the right side and looked at each painting intensely. Still unaware of holding Carlisle's hand. Carlisle was very aware though but didn't want to pull away. Ivy would point out paintings and Carlisle would explain the backstory.

"Who are they?" She asked pointing to the biggest painting in the room.

"The Volturi. They're the most powerful vampire coven in the world. Located in Italy. They make up the vampire laws but none of them, other than one, is followed," Carlisle said.

"So even when you're dead you still have to follow rules," Ivy said.

Carlisle huffed out a laugh, "We can't reveal ourselves to humans."

Ivy's eyebrows furrowed in confusion, "But... I'm a human. So is Bella."

"Oh. I thought you were a ghost. Seeing as you're so pale," Carlisle joked.

Ivy slapped him on the shoulder with her free hand, "You're one to talk... what will happen? When you see them again?"

"I'll cross that road when I get to it," Carlisle said but that made Ivy more worried, "Hey. Don't worry. We have a plan."