Alestian Queen Arc - Chapter 1: From Deathbed Nobody To Immortal Queen

In 2121, I was officially diagnosed with an unknown illness. No medicines or therapy worked, or even helped. Since I was 10 years old, I was stuck inside of a hospital. Stuck in bed, daily "checkups" with doctors poking, proding and pricking at me, and absolute boredom. By the time I was 15, my illness got progressively worse. So much so, that I was directly told that I'm dying.

2126, that same year I was told that I was going to be in the hospital for my last days, a VRMMO game was released. YGGDRASIL. The game helped me deal with this deep, dark depression. A freedom that I was able to experience once more. I made friends in that world. A home. A family. I loved it, and I loved them.

My friends, a group of people belonging to the legendary guild "Ains Ooal Gown". Although I wasn't an official member, I was still treated like one. And, they were kind to me. So kind. They even helped fill my castle with NPCs.

And, 12 years later, in 2138, YGGDRASIL was officially coming to an end. And, so was I. I had decided to spend my last moments, in my happiest place, where I can relive the best memories.

As I logged in, I was immediately greater with the sight of my personal bedroom. Since it was just a game, it was mainly used as decoration, but I liked how real and cozy it seemed. Right by the door was a humonculus woman, with black hair and gray eyes, as well as an overall nice body. She even wore a stereotypical maid outfit, reinforced with plate armor, and a mace was on her hip. She was an NPC I made years ago. She was originally made as a sort of companion to back me up on quests, and, by the time where I got to where I am now, her role is more akin to a personal maid and bodyguard. Her name was "Claire Bretonia", aside from Ains Ooal Gown, she's been with me the longest.

The head of the Maid division, and my second in command. Her details, as fuzzy as I remember them, was that she was a sort of... big sister to me. Though, game limitations meant that it was solely just flavor text, but it's the imagination that counts, right?

"Follow." I commanded, and her body started to move and respond properly to the command.

Moving put of the bedroom and down the hallway, there were multiple maids on stand by. I don't recall their names right now, but most of them were made with the help of my 41 friends. Not just the maids, but a large majority of NPCs in this castle. I appreciate their help, yet, it saddens me to see that in just an hour, they'll no longer exist.

This castle was roughly 8 stories, with the eighth being the bedchambers for myself, and visitors. My destination, however, was on the very bottom floor. The throne room. Aside from Claire, all the "important" NPCs were there.

As I arrived, I admired the work my friends and I put into it. It was extravagant, yet simple. Royal, yet casual. A gold and marble throne, with red cushion lining the backrest and seat. On two opposite sides of the room, were various NPCs, lined up. These were where my "Division Heads" usually were. Six of them, three on each side.

From right to left, and closest to farthest from the throne, there was; Hrist, a succubus, the leader of my 13 Valkyries. Manon Dupont, second-in-command of the maids and answers directly to Claire. Charlotte Corday, head of the Royal Assassins, my spy network. Circe Aeaea, leader of the castle's mages and magic research division. Leo Nidas, the General of my army, if I had a proper one. And, lastly, Ragnar Lothbrok, an assistant in political affairs and one of the strongest warriors of Alestia.

Of course, I was quite obsessed with history and mythology when I made them. But, not much point in it now.

Waving my thoughts away, I walked up to the throne and sat down. I looked upon my seven greatest creations and sighed. What was that command again?

"Bow." I stated, using the NPC control command, causing all seven of them to bow towards me.

These NPCs... the other ones not here, and the NPCs my friends made for me, I see them all like my own children.

A child? I wish... I would live long enough to have one. Just to experience what being a mother is like.

I closed my eyes and waited for the clock to tick over. The closer it got to midnight, the more emotional I became. Twelve years of progress, twelve years of freedom, twelve years of my life, gone in the blink of an eye.

As the clock passed over, tears welled up in my eyes, and I could feel them roll down my cheek.

Wait... tears?

"My lady? Are you okay?" A voice, right next to me. It sounded genuinely worried.

I opened my eyes and looked in the direction of the voice. It was Claire. Her face was filled with concern, and her body moved naturally. Too naturally. She seemed genuinely alive.

I wiped away my tears and had to think of something quickly. This... is this just my imagination? My hope? A wish?

"Ah, I... I'm fine. Hm... Ah! Hrist, please go out a check our surroundings. Something feels off."

"Of course, Your Highness." She responded ecstaticly, and immediately gave flight.

"The rest of you, return to your posts. I'll come talk with you all later."

"Understood, my lady." They all said in unison, before taking their leave.

Claire stayed by my side, as it was her post after all. What exactly did I make her personality like? I know I said she was like a big sister to me, but there was more than that.

"My lady, do you wish to rest on my lap?" She asked haphazardly, with a near motherly smile.

Did I make her a bit of a pervert?

"No, no. Could you go inform the division heads that I'll be coming to visit them shortly? I'm going to take a walk for a bit."

"Of course, my lady." She walked off and to one of the divisions, while I got up and stretched my legs.

I feel... alive. Like, actually alive. I can feel my lungs expand with each breath, my heart beat, the twitch in my muscles as I move. It's most certainly past the shutdown time. Did they push a surprise update instead? No, that would've still logged me out. The NPCs act to... normal for it have been a delay. And, I'm most certainly not dead. Unless this is the afterlife itself?

"Message." The message ability, used to communicate to friends, and in this case, a GM, or Game Master. A developer, basically. But, I received no response.

What in the world is going on? For now, I'll act natural, and hopefully, figure everything out.