Alestian Queen Arc - Chapter 4: What Is A Family?

52 years. I was born 52 years ago, and I've been a slave for 52 years. I was born from a slave woman and her master. So, by blood, I was his slave too. But, since I held no use at the time, I was sold off shortly after.

By the time I was 20, I've already been traded around countless times. By then, I wondered why elves are given long lifespans.

I was about 35 when I was used for... that kind of activity. Those sick bastards. I wanted to die. Now, at 52, I learned to just accept my life as a slave. A slave that sick people would use for sick things.

But, all of a sudden, a strange woman appeared. She had two companions,, a male and female, both armed and armored. This woman, however, she bought me. So, I can already tell that she's one of those sick people. Why else would you buy a child slave who's too weak for basic chores?

"What's your name, little one?" She asked. Why would she ask a slave for their name? It's not important. Even so. I never had one in the first place.

"Don't have one." I responded. It was true. My mother may have thought of a name, but I never learned what that name was.

We continued onwards, out of the town, and, all of a sudden, we were in the air. Flying? We flew. All the way to a castle.

I didn't even have the time to process what happened by the time we entered. And when we did, the lady gave orders to a bunch of maids.

"Ladies, give this girl a bath and fresh clothes, then, lead her to my quarters when you're done. And get that collar off the poor thing." She said, and shortly after, the man that was with us tore off the collar around my neck like it was parchment.

The maids gently took me along with them to a room that had a very large pool of water, and some basins filled with water. Was this the "bathroom" that lady spoke of?

First, the maids stripped me, and dunked water on me, the started to use an odd item that bubbled up on my skin. After scrubbing me down, all the dirt and grime on me disappeared like magic.

Then, they used a similar item on my hair, and rubbed that in deeply, then dunked more water over my head before brushing my hair.

I was then put into the large pool of water, the water was really warm, and I felt... at peace.

When I got out, they dried me off and put brand new clothes on me. They were a but frilly, but they were clean. After getting dressed, they led me to a room, the room where my owner resided. I entered alone, and she greeted me with a smile.

I already knew from the start that this was an act. But something was different, I couldn't tell what it was though.

"My name is Telastra Soulare, Queen of Alestia, and owner of this castle."

"It's my pleasure to meet you, master."

"Dear, you don't have to call me that. Let's start from the beginning, you said you hand no name, right?"

"Yes. My birth mother may have called me something, but I don't know, or remember, what it could've been."

"I see. Then, from now on, your name is... Elianys."

"Eli...anys? My name is... Elianys. I understand."

"Now, I'm going to give you two options, okay? Option one: I adopt you as my daughter, which will allow you to live a bit more freely, and you gain the title of 'princess'. Option two: You can refuse that offer, and I will allow you to stay here as a resident, and you will be taken care of until you decide it's time for you to leave."

"You are... giving me options?"

"Yes, my dear. You get to choose how the rest of your life will continue."

This is too good to be true. Two positive options with no drawbacks? That simply cannot be. But... if it's true... Well, it's not like I can leave right now, as I would just go back to doing what I was before. And... I would be her daughter? A mother? Well, probably only on paper, but it's better than nothing.

"Then... I pick option one. I agree to be your daughter."

She clapped her hand and gave an even wider smile.

"Excellent! My darling, you will henceforth be known as Elianys Soulare, Princess of Alestia." She wrapped her arms around me, gently, in a warm embrace. "And I will be your mother from now on. If there's anything you need to ask, or talk about, if you ever need help, I'll be right there for you."

"Yes, mother." I reply blankly, as I'm still sure that this is simply a formal way to adopt a child. Right?

Time slowly went by, and it was surprising. I was able to eat delicious food everyday, wear clean clothes, and not be ordered to do anything explicit. I was actually treated as if I were Telastra's daughter. I was happy. But, I knew it would come crashing down. I'm just a political pawn, right?

Telas- Mother, always came to check up  on me and give small conversation before returning to work, which often involved her leaving the castle with guards. She always changes what guards come with her for some reason.

But, every time I interact with Mother, I feel as though she truly wanted a child. Was there some reason why she never had one before?

Whatever, for now, I'll simply keep my eyes open, and try to enjoy what freedoms I'm given right now.