07 | picnic date twist

Now Playing:

1 step forward, 3 steps back -- Olivia Rodrigo
0:01 ❍─────────────────────────────── 2:38
↻ ⊲ Ⅱ ⊳ ↺

"Yo Baker! Get your stinking ass out here!" Olive exclaimed, Marcus then jumped out of the window and ran to Olive in panic, clasping his hand to her mouth.

"Keep it down,"

Olive removed his hand, "What do you mean? It's like barely evening," she crossed her arms as they began walking away from the house.

"Where's Aspen?" Marcus brought up, noticing the absence of a certain friend.

"His mum asked him to drive out to Boston, some family gathering or some sh**," Olive answered, although it wasn't the full truth. If there was one she and Aspen had in common, it was their toxic family.

"So it's just you and me?"

Olive nodded before grinning at Marcus, "Wanna make it a date?"

Marcus' face flushed red before Olive let out a chuckle, elbowing his stomach.

"God, I love seeing you flustered, it can be casual if you want, mop head," she said softly before leading him to the open cinema.

The two sat on the grass, leaning on their arms as they ate candy bars and popcorn.

"The beauty about this film is in its ambiguity really, so much can be answered but still so many questions are made simultaneously, it's genius. It reflects reality in a more poetic manner," Olive whispered, unable to stop the urge to observe the film.

Marcus only nodded gladly listening to her ramble on as he felt her slowly lean her head on his shoulder.

It all seemed right.

...

"Why am I doing this?" Olive asked as she stood in front of the school in her PJs and her phone, nothing else.

Aspe stood next to her with a grin, "Because your mom found out and paid for you to go?"

"Oh right! Thanks for reminding me, jerk," Olive replied sarcastically, playfully kicking Aspen on the shin, "You're just gloating that you're not going."

"Oh yeah, I'll be wrapped in comfy sheets, in my comfy bed, watching good movies in my own room," Aspen teased, pretending to be all lovesick.

Olive reaches to grab him but he narrowly avoids her, running to his bike as he waves goodbye, "Don't miss me too much!"

"F*** off!"

Aspen blew kisses before cycling away. Olive sighed before turning to the school, clicking her tongue, contemplating whether she should even go to this thing.

"They said there would be food," she sighed, "Might as well make the most out of that hundred bucks."

A black car pulled over as the MANG group got out confidently with their initials on their shirts. Rather tacky but Olive could care less.

"OMG, Olive you're here!" Maxine walked over to grab Olive, pulling her in with the rest of the group.

"We should have gotten you a shirt, too, we would've been MANGO," Max exclaimed.

Olive shook her head with a fake chuckle, "Yeah, no."

Gods help me. She whispered as the group dragged her to the school.

"This is a carnival on crack," Ginny exclaimed with excitement as the party was already ongoing.

"You guys have fun, I'll check out the food," Olive said, quickly prying herself out of Max's grip and away from the group.