Chapter Four: Losing a Prize

They walked straight back through the kitchen–Gregory hiding in Monty to evade Chica–and through a few doors and hallways clustered with boxes and shelving units. A recharging station pressed up against a corner beside a huge, industrial elevator. It opened from the middle like a set of jaws, its tooth-shaped, double-layered metal doors opening at a delay to one another to allow them entrance.

Roxy had vanished from the atrium floor when they came back, which was good for him, he supposed. But at the same time, he had no clue where she was, now.

Monty said as they walked, "You can get to the Prize Counter through the Super Starcade, which is locked tight. So, you'll get through El Chips. But the fire escape should be right next to the Prize Counter. We got this."

They climbed up a set of escalators to the carpeted first-floor balcony. El Chips, Gregory found, was on the third-floor balcony in the middle of the east wing.

Stairs.

Why couldn't the Starcade be on the first or even second floor? Main floor?

They passed fake potted plants and clusters of arcade cabinets as well as a large menu stuck into the floor in front of El Chips. When Gregory stepped up to it, it opened a couple feet, but no more.

Monty sighed. "Yep, that's what I was afraid of." He got down and shoved his head under it and then pulled it back. He heaved in the effort it took to attempt to push the shutters further. They creaked, and his claws dug shallow marks into the metal, but they didn't open any further. He released the shutters, sat back, and adjusted his glasses. "I'll just have to go the long way. See you there, Little guy! Stay out of trouble, huh?"

Gregory blinked and then laughed. "Yeah, you, too!" Look at those gouges! He could have cut straight through that if he wanted to!

"He's strong, and those claws of his make him stronger."

Gregory ducked under the slightly warped shutters and stood up in a warm-colored, tortilla-chip-and-beaver-themed restaurant. Shelves of chips lined up beside him and a counter with soda fountains–all dark–lined up beside a cash register under a few menu signs. A huge beaver with a sombrero stood at the far right wall. Further in the L-shaped space, a single S.T.A.F.F. bot plain of color save for its characteristic blush marks and buttons slowly pushed a mop over the orange and maroon tiled floor. The bot didn't mind the borderline useless flashlight on it.

Gregory avoided it and the wet floor as he made his way to the orange with yellow zig-zagged lines and black-and-white checkerboard shutters, which opened up all the way for him. The curvy hall lined with red couches and neon cacti with sombreros led to a set of confetti shutters and then a wide space with more shiny maroon and orange tile with a mop bot. When he stepped out, he only saw some couches, chairs, tables, and mild decorations. A few air hockey tables stood to the side.

Beep! [Hey, you made it to the East Arcade! The Prize Counter is through the security office. That's the door with the badge symbol on it.]

This was the arcade? It looked more like a lounge than anything else.

Then, Gregory walked deeper in.

He passed up some wide area of counters with soda fountains and silverware on them, and a few kiddies carts nearby. Clusters of arcade machines, games, and fewer decorations to block his view of possible places to spend his limited money he really shouldn't be spending spread out over the floor glinting in the scant neon lights, his own flashlight, and the sole flashlight of the security bot rolling around.

Roxy called from deeper in the arcade behind him, "Hey kid, come on out! We're only trying to help."

He jumped and looked back and then forward at where a door with a security badge painted on it stood. Thank goodness I don't need to risk going back there. He walked up to the door, careful to stay quiet and not get in the way of the patrolling security bot. He reached up to the door handle and–