Chapter [24]

[Charlotte  Kendall]

All seven of us walked in a single file line. Two boys in the front and two boys in the back with us three girls guarded in the middle. It was awkward for me considering that Emma hasn't once turned around to look at me. Ashton humiliated her in front of the whole group but besides, I never thought he would confess Michael just to keep everyone from knowing that we were involved with each other. I really needed to talk to Emma and clear things up under our belts. It's been practically three hours at the least and we were already way past the lagoon and over the waterfall. Surprisingly again Ashton and Brandon held the line in the back as Tyson trailed along side Benson while he tracked down his remembered path to the mountain's grassland.

No one was talking, it was all pants and sharp breaths as we trekked through the heated jungle. Benson hasn't stopped for a break and by the looks and sounds of everyone's exhaustion; someone was going to collapse soon. My thoughts immediately go to Emma and her condition but she was stubborn at this point to avoid my assistance. She was just slightly ahead of me with a sweat drenched back that was as dark as her tanned feet.

I stop causing Ashton to stumble into my back. He catches me from the back of my arm as Brandon continues walking past, not noticing.

"Are you alright?" Ashton asks with a voice full of concern.

No, I think to myself, I am definitely not alright. But I only nod just to avoid any discussion on what happened hours ago.

"She'll come around." Ashton continues, completely invading my thoughts of wanting to stay away from that subject.

I sigh and pull away from his arms in order to catch up with Brandon and the rest of the group. I know Emma will eventually forgive me but for right now it truly hurts not having my best friend by my side.

"We should rest!" I hear Denise shout up towards Benson.

She was right behind Tyson and Benson but still shouted for the whole group to hear. Tyson notices and stops to help Denise up a slight hill in the ground. He agrees with her and whistles up towards our leader of the trek. Benson rolls his neck around, his face was as red as a tomato and peeling under his blue eyes. He licks his lips, placing his hands onto his hips as he huffs in his own exhaustion. Of course, Benson did not believe in pit stops.

"We're almost there everyone. Just a few more hills to climb and we'll be there before sunset." He gulps as he dribbles water into his mouth from one of the leftover tin bottles.

He passes what's left to all of us just as Emma squats to the mud out of energy. I sit next to her purposely and take the water, pouring it all over her head and down her back. She doesn't seem to care that it was me who was helping her until she shakes me away and tosses the can up towards Brandon. I sigh and scoot away from her, offering her the space again.

After awhile of sitting we all work at cracking the shells of coconuts we carried from the beach and pour the liquids into the two bottles. It takes up a lot of our time and Benson grows antsy about the nightfall. Before we all know it, we are back on the track an hour later and headed up the side of the mountain. I allow everyone to go ahead and wait near the back with Ashton. Tyson notices me waiting for him and swallows tightly. I couldn't help but glare over at him until he leans over and whispers something into Emma's ear. My face fades once she peaks around his shoulder with narrow eyes. God it pains me to be fighting with her. . . and over a guy of course! Or are we even fighting over a guy really?

"We need to talk." I whisper sharply up at Ashton while keeping my gaze up forward. Emma suddenly looks away.

We begin to walk, "About?" He seems surprised by my sudden snap towards him.