Chapter [43]

[A/N] Please don't hate me for dropping this chapter on you so late at night. Love you!

[Charlotte Kendall]

I thought I was seeing things at first but when everyone else turned their heads in surprise it signified that I wasn't completely crazy.

All minds erased the horrible chapter of our lives with eyes going wide as soon as the helicopter nose dove for the beach some ways down. The rapid speed of the helicopters blades swirling away from the stars brought up sand and killed the camp fire behind us. Smoke blew out in our faces and we all ducked under our arms in the same motion.

Denise and Brandon stood up slowly, grabbing each other in unrecognizable laughter. I don't think anyone could believe that the helicopter actually came back for us after passing us in the clouds earlier this morning.

As soon as two bodies hopped out from inside the twins ran with their arms still around each other. Tyson wasn't far behind, pulling his hands out of mine as we still sat on the sand. I stayed put as everyone screamed over the sound of the slowing blades, they jumped and waved their arms in the air excitedly as if the rescue inside couldn't see them right there in front still. Slowly, one second at a time I pushed off onto my knees and then my feet, never looking away from the giant machine in front of me. It felt unreal but the two pilots ran for the three survivors and were immediately welcomed by the overjoyed huddle of Denise, Brandon and Tyson.

Everyone that had survived this far ran for the rescue, except Ashton and I.

I turned, looking over my shoulder slightly to notice Ashton standing several steps behind me. His face was covered with shadows from the fire's smoke and helicopter lights. I couldn't read if he was happy or disappointed that we were finally going home. I knew he never wanted to go back after everything he's been through and losing both Michael and Benson today couldn't have been at a more terrible timing.

"Charlotte! Ashton!" My attention was pulled back towards the helicopter where Brandon was waving at us two in the distance. He was smiling brighter than ever before yet Ashton and I acted like deer's in the headlights.

"Is this really happening?"

I turned back again, not sure which direction to take yet. Ashton's face was cold with his curly bangs waving in the wind against his forehead. So much has happened to him here, to us both, and his ghostly expression of disbelief was understandable. I took several steps towards him, which brought him out of his trance. I swear a silent tear dropped from under his chin as he pivoted his face from looking at me.

"Ashton," I mumbled through the loud wind after hearing him sniffle twice. There were shouts from the other's still, telling us to run over but I was only headed where ever Ashton was going, "Ash we're going home." I reply softly.

He never gave himself a chance to say anything back. Instead he looked up instantly, staring me in the eyes before taking one giant step towards me with his palms out. I gasped softly as he caught my cheeks in his hands and tilted my head back, kissing me like he never wanted to lose me.

My lips enclosed with his as his torso stumbled into mine, knocking our bodies off balance with this powerful embrace. I kissed him back with all that I had left, holding his elbows before trailing my fingers down to his waist. Ashton's lips weren't as soft, but dry at first until our lips melted with each other. He had the control of my face, tilting it up towards the stars as I puckered beneath him. When he pulled away, he did so slowly and tauntingly.

My lips stayed pouted in the air until I felt his lips press against mine again with a gentle peck. I wasn't really expecting that type of response out of him at all, especially in front of everyone else.