Chapter [44]

[A/N] Thank you for reading this story, and without further ado. . . please enjoy the last chapter of Washed Up ;) -Rae

[Charlotte Kendall]

In the sky, the morning sun helped illuminate the horizon line somewhere in the foggy clouds. It sparkled pink reflections against the ocean below as we flew closer to civilization. My adrenaline level was low but my heart was still pounding from the night.

We were landing in New Zealand, where the cruise ship should have docked over a month ago. Yet before we could be released to our families we had to go through the crowds of curious faces, people begging to take a peak at the Croke Cruise survivors. I'm sure they'll be disappointed once they all get a good look at us. We were nothing but five normal strangers who suddenly entered a world of heroism. But I can understand why the world's population was so intrigued in watching us come home, we were this sense of a battling hope. However, I wasn't interested in parading my survival as a trophy. I just wanted to be at home, where things were always the same.

I was alone in this helicopter, sat in the back and wrapped in a bright orange jacket with needles of well needed nutrients being pushed into my veins. A first aid attendant was next to me, holding the bag of saline while two pilot's handled the flying controls. I would be lying if I said I wasn't terrified about what might happen next. But then came the land and the short city line in the distance.

I moved towards the window so quickly that the helicopter swayed in my direction. Ahead of this helicopter were the two other ones, including the middle one that kept Ashton inside. My heart pounded some more, yearning for him and only him.

"Welcome to New Zealand, Miss Kendall." A pilot mentioned through the headset that also echoed throughout the helicopter's cabin.

I looked ahead as we dove lower to the ground. It was so gorgeous and green. With grass and flower fields driving miles out from the distance in front of us. Between the split of mountains was the city near the ocean, resting peacefully like time was still frozen for our arrival.

Landing was tricky. No doubt I was still afraid of anything moving at high power speeds with such a large mass, but below our helicopters were just massive crowds filled with natives and flashing lights. The sun wasn't fully up in the sky just yet so the glare from the people's camera's lit up the landing spot for the copters. I was the last to land and once we were down and the engines were off all doors opened for each and everyone of us.

My mind was so fuzzy and bundled up with anxiety, that I didn't even feel the needle being yanked from the top of my hands. I was so concentrated on the crowd of people, standing by patiently to greet their survivors. My attendant took me by my shoulders and escorted me out of the helicopter on the other side, I was shaking terribly once I touched the cement. I don't know why everything felt so out of place and new, I've only been gone a month. Then the twins stepped out, holding each other and crying with joy.

Brandon kissed his sister's temple and pushed themselves along the line as the crowd cheered with welcoming songs and questions. Tyson stepped out behind them and was held by the arm of another attendant. The woman was close to him, helping him walk towards a running wheelchair before gently plopping him down, careful not to mess with the band-aid wrap around his jaw. No matter the amount of pain he was in, Tyson was trying so hard to keep a smile every step of the way.

Someone pushed me away from my stance and I was quickly ushered towards the other three. I couldn't jog very well on my own, I was weak. When the three saw me Denise was first to come to my side. I stopped before her, mesmerized by the actually size of the crowd spread out in front of us.